1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I finally did it

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. the 400vr price just dropped another $100 and I had to do it....
    The D3 + 400 should be a big WOW for what I shoot.

2. itsmike

itsmike

Mar 2, 2008
    Greenlawn NY
    Nice! You must post pics when it arrives!!!! :) 

3. Excellent! So now you have both the 300 VR and 400 VR? Can't wait to see the images.

4. Congratulations Randy!

I'm sure we will be seeing some fantastic new work with the 400vr soon.

W/r

5. Good for you Randy! Nice to be able to shoot a 400mm hand held!

6. yep but I might sell the 300 if I use the 400 for soccer & fb.
    I was concerned about the 400 on the d300 for baseball and then I realized I could just use the D3 and the 400 so the 300 may become obsolete (I can't believe i just said that)

7. thx Anthony
    i suspect I won't be able to shoot it handheld altho the 300 handheld is not bad, even from a moving boat...
    the vr on the 400 will come in handy for MI6 when I shoot it from a tripod

8. thx Bill
    I've been salivating over this lens since before it was announced

9. If the 400 VR is anything like the non-VR flavor, you will find the TC14 and TC17 are indistinguishable from transparent. I see only slight softening with the TC20. WOOHOO for you - an 800mm f5.6VR!:eek: :biggrin: Have fun you luck dog you!

This is what I mean by "slightly softened" (TC20 + 400mm)

Anhinga_2460_BIB.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

10. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Congrats, I for one am so happy that we are going to see you shoot with thsi combo.

11. thx nick

i have a 1.4 but will def add a 1.7 for MI6
    the 300 + 1.4 is amazing (except for the resulting f4 and my sports backgrounds) so i expect the 400 to be even better

12. Another example of the TC-20 on a D300/400f2.8 combo after AF-Fine Tune adjustment. (Oops...edited this because it was the D300 for this one)

350433157_zpDxt-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

13. Randy...
    why do i think that THIS thread is going to cost ME money? :tongue:... :biggrin:

congrats, my friend
    i am very happy for you

14. thx greg
    I'll bring it with me in October so you can give it a try

15. Rand,
    tip re shopping the TC17. Haul camera and lens to a storefront and try several TC17 - there will ample variation (as I found with the TC20).
    Nick

16. congrats Randy, you keep adding to my lens envy :biggrin: Looking forward to your shots....

17. thx nick

i wonder if anybody in Charlotte even carries those...i bet not but it's worth trying or just use b&h

18. 800mm...wow
    what aperture ?

19. f/7.1, ISO 320, 1/640SS. Hey, if you factor in the DX, it was like 1200mm lol.

20. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Congrats Randy, that's one heck of a piece of glass....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.