I finally found the perfect bag for my D2x and 70-200mm lens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. I just recieved via UPS a new camera bag two days ago and want to share with you folks. I have seen many posts regarding 70-200mm lenses so I assume this will be of some use for many here.

I have what i think is the perfect bag to carry my 2x with a 70-200mm Vr and any tele-converter attached with the lens hood on in a reverse position. or the 2x with the 70-200 and the lens hood attached and ready to shoot. It is a perfect fit without compromise since it was designed specifically for this purpose. Price from manufacturer $83.00 internet purchase. It even has waterproof zippers. It can be carried as a shoulder bag or attached to a belt or both. It has D-rings at several stratigec locations. there is a velcro attached bridge pad in the bag if you want to carry a shorter lens attached so the camera doesn't slip down into the bag.

Until I found this bag, every bag I found was a compromise...too big, too small, too wide or not wide enough or just too bulky. I think I have them all.

It is a Kinesis model C640 and an optional strap also available for $13. There are a couple of choices. I opted for the Y515 (the larger one with a bit more padding) but there is a more narrow strap a few dollars cheaper.

I have no affiliation of any kind with the manufacturer and only just found out about this bag by accident recently doing a google search. I get nothing for recommending. I just wanted to share with my friends here because it is IMHO as I said the absolute perfect bag for this purpose. I called the owner of the business for additional questions and he was very patient and very helpfull. I believe it is a family owned business but he was very professional and courteous with me answering all my questions.

There are also a wide variety of other size bags and pouches. More designed for pro sized equipment. I think most of the big name manufacturers of bags are trying to appease the widest possible consumer level and don't really hit the mark exactly right.

Here's a link if your interested.

https://kinesisgear.securesites.com/c/C640.html

2. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Scott,

Good idea to post this and thanks for this good information.

Gaye

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scott,

I'm definitely interested. I took my D2H + 70-200VR + 1.4 TC on my hike with Janie last Sunday, and my Lowepro Toploader 75 AW just wasn't big enough (to be fair, I got it for the D70 + 70-200VR).

I've been to the Kinesis web site several times but just never pulled the trigger. I will give C640 a good look.

Thanks!!

Frank

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Scott;

I have been using the Nikon Gadget Bag- In fact I have four of them.
    Now if I want to use a 1.4 or a 1.7 attached I'm out of luck.
    Will your new bag handle this? with the 70-200mm VR

I have other bags that I could use, but when a TC is attached I do not like the horizontal position.

Also I think your new bag would be better on a bicycle.

Birger

5. I also have a 75 AW and found it wanting with the 70-200. It has been collecting dust in my closet for awhile now.

I have tried the Kinesis bag with the D2x + TC 20eII + 70-200mm VR lens with the hood mounted backward. With the TC20eII the top of the camera comes to the top of the bag exactly without being snug. it was clearly designed just for this combination. There is a velcro divider type attachment that comes with the bag that can be placed at the bottom of the bag to allow the lens to rest on it at any length shorter than the above combo. The TC17eII fits with a little extra room on top so you can store small items like cleaning clothes or CF holders in the pocket inside the top flap easily. I didn't try it but I think with the TC14eII you could probably leave the lens hood on in the ready to shoot position so you can just take the camera out, aim and shoot without any assembly or figiting with the hood.

I stand by my original recommendation. I like it. I suggest calling Kinesis and talking to someone if you have questions on fit or finish. They were very helpfull to me. I almost ordered the wrong bag but when I described my need, he steered me to a smaller more functional bag for my use. I'm very glad i called and very glad I ordered.

6. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Scott;

Just ordered Kinesis C640.
    I think just what I've been looking for over two years.

Birger

7. I LOVE Kinesis gear

I have the belt, which I have modified to attach to the Lowe S&F vest. This is super as the weight is on your hips or, with the vest, spread over shoulders and hips. You can then attach a gazillion different bags and pouches, such as the C640, and be very comfortable with hands-free. It is also very easy to get to what you need, from extra CF to different lens to a water bottle. As Scott will probably tell you, these folks make quality gear.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Based on this thread, I am seriously looking at the C640 (as I mentioned above). I do have a couple of questions for the Kinesis folks, so I probably won't order until Monday, but this looks like the bag I've been looking for.

The only real problem I have is that this will be my sixth bag. :?

Frank

9. 1. The Kinesis folks are great to speak with. When I was about to order my belt they spent almost an hour on the phone with me, explaning why is was more comfortable and how to do the mods I wanted. What was very nice is that I was able to do everything with just the attachments, D-Rings and such, on the belt, it didn't require any real rework. But they are very helpful.

2. Only 6 :?: You, sir, are a real newbie........

10. Six bags... nice starter kit. But as mentioned you obviously haven't been at this for very long. Gaye suggested a bag exchange and sale thread. Everyone I know who has been collecting camera gear has aquired bags for this combo or that combo, bags for flying, bags for walking in the city, bags for hiking, bags for Disneyland, bags that roll, backpack bags, shoulder bags, hip bags, bags that hang of their bags, chest harness bags, I know someone who always puts his camera gear in a baby carraige because there are places that will not let you carry pro sized bags but will let you bring in a baby stroller and the stuff is very accessable. I bet he gets a lot of funny looks especially when some young person says... oh may I look at your baby and peeks under the sunhood to see a 600mm long lens and an assortment of accessories.

If anyone wants a bag I probably have it. I will be putting them on some time soon. some are actually very nice.

Birger let me know how you like the Kinesis. I feel very safe recommending it. I really really like mine. This is from a guy with a lot of experience with bags....

11. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Scott;

My C640 arrived this morning.
    Yes it is everything you said it was and more.
    I just placed my order over the Internet last Saturday.

Now I think that I will paint it light tan and white.
    It does get hot in Florida in the summer.
    Don't laugh about painting.
    Some years ago [film days] when I went to the South Pacific,
    I had a bag that I had spray painted to look really cruddy.
    The only time I got a reaction was sometimes when customs
    opened it. Then they were very careful with the contents.
    I still have the beast.

Back to the C640.
    The zippers seem to be sealed against rain. Very Nice.
    The heavy duty shoulder strap Y515 is very comfortable.
    Over the shoulder or over the head.
    More hooks or attaching hooks that I will ever need.

Scott- Thank you for bringing this bag to my attention.

Birger

12. Hi Birger,
    Glad to do it. This is one of the great things about these forums. It opens up a world of knowledge and experience, and give quick feedback on what works and what doesn't from real user experience without bias or predjudice toward or against a product.

Cheers.