I Finally gone and 'dune' it...

Well guys,

I finally did it. I got the Nikon D40 with 18-55mmII kit lens. I'm so excited i can't wait to get out there and start making some awesome photos. I'll be sure to post em up btw.

I'll probably be spending all night pouring through the various owners / operation manuals. Yipee!

i am a bit worried about the build in flash breaking. I remember all the display models at bestbuy had all their flash 'clips' broken, so the flash wouldn't stay folded down. is there a known problem with that happening?

anyways thought i'd let ya'll know. Night!

Hey Tim congratulations on your new toy :D I am sure you will be *very* happy with quality and result of D40 as well as kit lens. D40 is possible the best 6MP camera in the market :)

Thanks!

I notice you have a D40 too with a 18-200mm VR lens even! hows the tiny D40 handle with a lens like that attached to it? I want one like mad! but i figured i was going to go for the 55-200mm next and replace the 18-55 non-vr with the vr version.

what do you think?

Caanen,

Congrats on you new purchase. Dont worry about the pop-up flash, you have to remember that people just abuse anything that is on display but the build quality is good. I will say one thing, stay away from the FOR SALE forum for a while after your 30th post or you might be shooting a D200 or D300 in no time.

Thanks!

I notice you have a D40 too with a 18-200mm VR lens even! hows the tiny D40 handle with a lens like that attached to it? I want one like mad! but i figured i was going to go for the 55-200mm next and replace the 18-55 non-vr with the vr version.

what do you think?

Take some pictures for a while and see what you need. My initial enthusiasm for certain lenses changed over time and I also got a better sense of what lens best suited my shooting.

I too thought about replacing the non-vr 18-55 with the vr version. But no more. In view of the lightness of the lens, the weight of the body, the ability to use auto-ISO in the P and A modes and 1600 or so usable ISO, I found that I did not need the vr. I also found that the 18-55 II is a great lens. I ended up getting a 70-300 for a trip and selling my 55-200 vr, which I thought would be the lens I used the most. Moral: calm down and give yourself some time. THEN go out and spend :smile:

BTW, check out this resource to supplement your manual on setting up your camera. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

I will say one thing, stay away from the FOR SALE forum for a while after your 30th post or you might be shooting a D200 or D300 in no time.

You shook me up - I think its 25 posts. Hope you are not trying to keep me from the promised land, where cameras, lenses and other goodies grow on trees and are there just for the picking.

Take some pictures for a while and see what you need. My initial enthusiasm for certain lenses changed over time and I also got a better sense of what lens best suited my shooting.

I too thought about replacing the non-vr 18-55 with the vr version. But no more. In view of the lightness of the lens, the weight of the body, the ability to use auto-ISO in the P and A modes and 1600 or so usable ISO, I found that I did not need the vr. I also found that the 18-55 II is a great lens. I ended up getting a 70-300 for a trip and selling my 55-200 vr, which I thought would be the lens I used the most. Moral: calm down and give yourself some time. THEN go out and spend :smile:

BTW, check out this resource to supplement your manual on setting up your camera. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/index.htm

Thanks for the Advice!

I will still with the kit lens and brush up on technique.

I was nuts for the D200 and D300, but being on a tight budget and wanting to dive in to photography immediately i just couldn't say no to a new D40 on sale for $449.99. lol

i saw it, it was the last one, and it was mine! haha

Oh, forgot to ask. Isn't there new firmware for the D40? and should i upgrade it? does it improve fringe things in the software? like faster menu, less lag, etc?

sorry for the idiot questions btw.

At least I have not heard of firmware upgrade for D40

Tim, to answer your question, lens does look BIG and D40 looses its "light" feeling but then you get a range of 18 to 300 :) My lens arrived today and have yet to take pic with it :D

Oh, forgot to ask. Isn't there new firmware for the D40? and should i upgrade it? does it improve fringe things in the software? like faster menu, less lag, etc? sorry for the idiot questions btw.

Go here. http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi..._new_search=1&p_search_type=answers.search_nl

You can check which version you have by going into your setup menu (the wrench on the side) and clicking "Firmware version."

I have not done the 1.11 update. Based on this article, I understand the 1.11 update only affected shooting times and I didn't want to mess with the software. The 1.10 update (which I already had when I bought the camera) seemed more extensive.

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/...nMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

I'm glad you've finally made the plunge, show us some images when you're ready.

well,

I've taken some photos with different settings. I'll be sure to post up... as soon as i figure out how lol.
stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

congrats ...it's a great gizmo ...my, just $449? such a dilly!!!

Pbase.com requires a subscription after the 30 day trial period. Anyone else here use something that is more or less free? I'll use Pbase for the first 30 days, but if it cuts off after that is there another alternative?

A lot of people use Flickr, I think that's free.

I tend to just upload onto ImageVenue, which doesn't require any type of registration but can be unreliable.

update..

I've taken loads of photos (most of of the sky, just checking out what settings do what)

made some nice ones actually. Anyways, I think i've snapped like 300 or so photos in the span of two days, and that leads me to the question of how long will my camera last if i keep this up lol.

seriously, i'm enjoying it to much i think i'd cry if my shutter failed (which is just my luck).

any thoughts?

Congrats on the D40, its a great little camera... I love mine. That 18-55 kit lens isn't bad either. As for a free photo hosting site, try photo bucket.

alright guys,

Check it out. these are some photos i took testing out my new D40. Let me know what you think! Oh, and be gentle... it's my first time... lol
DSC_0078.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom