I finally got my lily!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by sommer, Aug 2, 2005.

1. I've been trying for days to get a picture of this lily that accurately reflects its color. It's a very deep orangy-yellow that has a very slight pearlescent cast. Time and time again, every picture I took of it kept coming out yellow and flat. So I thought I'd try once more, since the plant is almost done flowering, and I hoped the lighting wouldn't give me too much problem. Turns out the setting sun was perfect!

Taken with the D70 with 18-70mm kit lens, handheld, f/22, 1/15s, iso 200, on-board flash, WB set to flash (woo-hoo, I actually remembered to set it!), sReala2 curve. Resized in PS CS2 with USM applied.

30782171_e0def9f268_o.

I love this photo...now, tell me how I can make it even better!

2. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    i like the photo... would try taking it at F3.5 to F5 to blur the back ground..and not so tight of a crop.. not sure what the orange back ground its. but the shadows. take away from the great flower...i get some of my best just before dark or early morning...

Tim

3. Gorgeous! The petals are so detailed and delicate. I also like the shadow play beneath the petals.

As far as how you can improve on the image...I can only suggest that you try taking the image from a few more angles. I find part of the background to be a bit distracting.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Sommer. I agree with the previous posters' comments with regard to the background, but I have to say that this one is pretty damn close to perfect. :lol:

Very well done. :wink:

5. Yes, yes, yes! Red channel well under control and great detail. But I agree with the others that probably f11 would have been sufficient.
    Cheers

6. Sommer if you want to experiment with a flower colors, use the HUE (+more yellow, -more red) or play with the degre Kelvin (+more yellow, -more blue).

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Sommer,

That flower certainly is beautiful...love the way that it is pearlescent!. The other members have offered some worthy tips which should produce great results. The next time that you go out to shoot that flower...when you are just about to finished, spray some water from a mist sprayer onto the flower then shoot a few more images. The tiny beads of water may have a very pleasing effect.

8. That is certainly a nice flower Sommer and you have captured the colors well. I might be tempted to slip a dark or earth toned mat board behind in order to isolate it from the background. I like the angle in which you took this image and wouldn't suggest modifying that. Sometimes I carry around a piece of black velvet and just get someone to hold it behind the blossom. Works great to isolate the flower.

9. WOOHOO!! And a nice lilly at that.....well done!!! :D :D :D