I forgot how mind-blowing 4x5 negatives are...

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by cellison, Jul 14, 2007.

1. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    Here's a scan from a photo I took for an assignment back in college on a 4x5 camera. The assignment was to find an ad and duplicate it the best you can. I decided to replicate a Hasselblad ad since I happened to have the exact camera featured in the ad. I set the Hasselblad up in the studio and spent hours matching every reflection and getting the lighting exact. Long story short my "fake" ad looked pretty damn close to the original.

[​IMG]

I started playing with the scanner and decided to keep bumping up the dpi until I saw grain. Here's a 1:1 crop from a 600dpi scan:

[​IMG]

I could barely start to make out grain so I tried 1200 dpi. Here's a link to the 1.44mb jpg.

I'm not saying I feel like lugging a 4x5 around again but them's some impressive results!

Chris

2. One of these days I am going to try 4x5. That is incredible.

3. woah! Your shot is fantastic. And the crop quality is jaw dropping.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    4x5 is indeed the ultimate in detail (short of 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 or ...) Your shot has more detail than my old eyes could discern on the original object!

My only issues with shooting large format, are camera handling, film processing and printing.

5. the subject matter of your assignment is very interesting.

6. I've been doing the same kind of thing. My large format stuff scans so nice, I wish I had more of it to work with. Makes me want to get another field/view camera.