I found a bat in my room

I found a bat in my room. I think it may be a young big brown bat. He was so scared and ended up in my closet while I waited for animal control... for 3 hours... no animal control ever ended up showing up so I took matters into my own hands once my friend Cristy came over. I ended up catching him. The first three pictures my friend Cristy took since I was the one holding the bat before we released him.

#1 (taken by my friend Cristy)
DSC_0139.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 (Taken by Cristy)
DSC_0140.jpg

#3 (Taken by Cristy)
DSC_0151.jpg

After I let him go and took the gloves off I managed to snap a few pics. He mostly crawled around at first... I tried to release him into a dark spot since it was in the middle of the day time but he crawled rather quickly out onto the sidewalk which is when I snapped this next picture. I hope he made it to his roost safe and sound.

#4 (Taken by me)
DSC_0160.jpg

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
cool! that is something rather different for sure. The gloves were a good idea, although rare, rabies can be transmitted by a bat bite

How did you manage to catch him??

I remember being down at field hockey camp at UConn and several bats got into the dorm. It took quite some time to get them out!

Wow, he looks tiny. Nice shots.

I had a bat "incident" once upon a time. I had an upstairs apartment and a bat flew in the window and circled my living room a few times. My wife, who I was dating at the time, loves to tell the story because she says I screamed like a little girl.....

of course I remember it differently.:biggrin:

I screamed like a BIG girl!:eek:

When I was a kid there were bats near the church we went to. When the season was right and it was dusk at dismissal time you'd get buzzed by them when standing in the parking lot talking. They were probably just getting some of the horde of mosquitoes that were also present but it was a little unnerving anyway.

Wow, can't say I've ever been in such a situation. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a bat in Northern VA, even though I grew up here :biggrin:

How did you manage to catch him??

I remember being down at field hockey camp at UConn and several bats got into the dorm. It took quite some time to get them out!

He flew towards my closet and climbed into my closet through the crack at the edge of the door. I sat there for probably about 3 hours waiting for the animal control that never showed. My friend Cristy showed up with big thick gloves and a net. I opened the closet door and he was asleep in one of my shoes. He was really easy to catch because I think I caught him by surprise. I just reached over and grabbed him quickly. We didn't even end up needing the net.

Since the incident, have you found that you have suddenly developed an aversion to garlic??

You know... now that I think about it... the garlic my roommate had out last night did seem to make my stomach all queasy... :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom