I found GOLD in the desert

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by heiko, Nov 4, 2005.

1. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    On a trip in the southern Negev desert last month we found this:

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

All taken with D70 and Sigma 24mm f1.8 lens at late afternoon.

Tell me your honest opinion?

2. Very nice love the rich warm colors looks like a fantastic place

3. Really like the dunes and ripples...

Humm, you also found the kid out there in the desert all by himself?? :^)

4. I love dune pictures! The 2nd would make a great wallpaper!!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Love all the beautiful landscapes and the gorgeous gold.
    I love the little gold feet :>)))))))

6. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful! The second shot is fantastic...the "movement" of the sand is amazing, just drew my eyes back in forth!

7. the second is a great image. They all are very good. such a desolate looking place.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Simply Lovely ! Thanks for posting

Regards

RFC

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for all your comments.

Mike, not only were the colors warm, so was the air :smile: . There are very few places in the Negev desert where you find sand dunes. We got a tip from a local to visit this place, and almost got stuck in the sand on the way when driving there. The low afternoon sun made a fantastic blue sky and golden light, but you had to be shooting in the right direction.

Dave, I like the second one too. It took me some pictures and a little cropping to get it right, but it was worth it.

Leigh, the second shot has not only "movement" in the way of waves and ripples, but the sand was actually moving with the wind. It took me half an hour to clean the camera and lens afterwards. And no, I didn't use a UV filter. Guess I was lucky not to ruin the glass.

Gale, you can have the gold, but the gold feet belong to my son.

Kevin, this was my thought too (refering to the wallpaper). Perhaps, when I have some spare time, I try to stitch it to produce a large image (I doubt I can enlarge it enough to cover a wall).

Eric, my kids really enjoyed the dunes, rolling in the sand and sliding down the hill. Well, at least we have that, if we haven't got the snow.

Thanks for looking at them, Robert.

Thanks again for your posts.

10. Great series

Really great series. The color of the sand is great, as is the texture and shadows. The only weak point (if there is one) is the third shot. The shadow on the dune in the lower left is a little distracting. Other than that, the shots are spot on... composition, exposure... very well done indeed.

Dave

11. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks Dave! I agree with you on the 3rd picture, I should have tried a different angle or moved the mountain :smile: .

12. I'd go with moving the mountain...

Move the mountain I say. You shouldn't have to compromise your composition just because some mountain has the audacity to cast a shadow in frame. ;)

Dave

13. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I like the texture of the sand and the color contrast of the sand and the sky, just beautiful.
    By the way I am very nervous about the sand when I bring my camera to the place like this :)

14. Better late than never (my review) ...
    Thanks for sharing. My favorite are the first two. The rich colors and composition of the first one are great! And, the second photo has wonderful texture. For the third, I'd have to agree that you should've moved the mountain. lol Not only that, but the blue sky isn't as vibrant as in the first.
    Nice series.

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for your comments. Regarding the sand, well, I didn't change lenses there cause that would have really given me nice dust bunnies. Fortunately or unfortunately I used a 24mm prime lens - so zooming was out of the questions. It helped me move my lazy a?? to get to the right spot, though.

16. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks! I had some doubts about the first picture - with such a desolate landscape and nothing to focus on in the picture. However, the blue sky and the golden sunlight was really nice. I did perhaps exaggerate a little with the light.
    The third picture was shot a different angle to the sun, so the color of the sky changed somewhat. I also used different settings in RAW conversion with a different result.