1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

i fully charged 3 batteries, and within 5 min, the d200 said all batteries were dead

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by tamar, Jun 24, 2007.

1. i haven't used my camera in awhile... real life has taken its toll.. but i got back into the game last week with my d200 and a single fully charged battery. i noticed that the low-battery-light indicator would keep going off, so i'd turn off the camera and try again (and hope it would work). usually, it did. sometimes, it didn't, and the shot would come out pitch black. i thought it was a battery issue.

i have 3 nikon-brand EN-EL3E batteries (no MB-200 battery pack) and went on an excursion today, ensuring that i'd charge them all to their fullest. the MH-18a charger seems to notice that the battery needs charging, and after 3-4 hours, the light is no longer flashing. all my batteries seemed to be fully charged when i went out today.

however, within 10 minutes of using each battery, i got the low-battery-light indicator. all of the sudden, i'm discouraged and wondering what is broken -- is it my D200 camera, my battery charger, or my 3 batteries?

:( 

2. I think that's what it is. I'm sending it to Nikon. Hopefully they'll acknowledge the problem.

3. Tamar, Make sure you send them a shot of the dead battery icon and the full charge icon shot. I can guarantee Nikon will tell that they can't replicate the problem.

4. D80 owners are reporting the exact same issue over on Nikonians. Nikon throws parts at the D80s with this problem too, and it's been no more effective than it has been on the D200s.

I suspect it is a battery contact issue, and I bet Nikon doesn't want to have to re-engineer the whole battery contact system and replace it on thousands of D80s & D200s.

I had been intending to replace my D80 with a D200, but not now that I see this problem happens with both cameras.

5. happens on the D1 as well, although only after about 200,000 shots....

6. SoCalBob

SoCalBob

Feb 9, 2006
    Riverside, CA
    Happened to my D80 a couple of days ago too, for the first time, and I've had the camera for 10 months. Fully charged battery, turned the camera on, took a quick picture and noticed the blinking battery indicator in the viewfinder and on the top LCD. Turned camera off, removed battery and put it back in, and turned camera back on. Voila, indicator and battery status on rear LCD showed 100% charge. Hasn't happened again (yet).

...... cue the Twilight Zone theme music.

7. Stuff like this is why I'm debating on picking up a D200.

8. Yeah, they probably will. I've read about this while researching the problem. I sent the bare camera without accessories. If they give me a hard time, I'll drive to Melville.... (okay, well, maybe not)

But if it doesn't work, I'll start a blog and start a ruckus. :tongue: It seems to be very effective.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.