I gave away my 50mm Nikkor.....now I want the 1.4G !!

I have a partner who, totally puzzled, kept wondering why my shots of her kids with my 135DC and 85.1.4 and 70-200 looked better than her shots with her 24-120.:confused::confused::confused:
Seems the VR did not get the four( yes, 4!!) three-year-olds to stop moving.

I gave her my old dusty neglected AF 50 1.8 that I bought for my ancient 8008 long long ago.
Told her to shoot at 2-2.8 and focus on the kids (her triplets) eyes.
She loves it.

Question.....

I'm just in the lens-buying mood......for my D3.
I'm not lacking for the range with a 24-70 and old MF 1.4 and a couple other lenses that give me 50mm.

You 50mm G users.....help me save or spend $470 at B&H.

Do you use the lens???
I already know it's good.

thanks.

VT

BTW......going to Sonoma for my 29th anniversary in a month.....a vacation begs for a new lens. I already figure my beloved 17-35 is my best wine country lens. Happily married for 25 years....not bad...out of 29.:biggrin:

I bought mine when it was $399 minus $20 cashback.

I took a couple of shots with it and it's been in the safe ever since. I'm not a big 50mm user, but it's nice to know I've got one and it's appreciated almost $100.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

A less-than-rabid endorsement.

I didn't say I didn't like it. I shoot mainly 11 yoa baseball and 14U ice hockey.

I have the other lenses in my signature because I plan on using them someday when I can take some formal training. I brought my 60mm out to take the pic that is my avatar.

I love the 50mm focal length on full frame. LOVE it. When I first learned photography it was with a pentax k1000 and a 50 mm lens so this lens is very natural for me to use.

Ive posted this image here before but this is a recent sample of a shot with my 50 1.4 g

3801638350_895747e712_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe that will help your decision.

I'm thinking of getting the 50 1.4G as well. I've read here on the forums, though, that the Sigma is better, so, I'm a little undecided. But the more people that post about loving the Nikon lens the more I start thinking that I'd rather not pay more for the Sigma.

Decisions decisions.

Good question.
I have a few 50mm lenses (Ai f/1.4 and an Ai f/1.2).

No doubt, these produce excellent IQ but somehow I go through that focal length with one of the "Triumverate" zooms.

The f/1.2 was fun to toy with at very large apertures, but it pretty much got shelved when I got an Ai-S 58mm "Noct" f/1.2 (which does get lots of on-camera time).

So, for me: I don't really use a 50mm prime nor would I buy the no doubt stellar 1.4G.

You should investigate the Sigma.
It is my only AF lens and I am more than happy with it. Easily my second best lens after the ZF 35/2

I love my f/1.4G. I bought it brand spanking new with no Bing or Live or whatever .com discounts at $439 before the prices went up. The old 1.8D is actually a bit sharper, but can get really nasty bokeh. The 1.4D got too soft wide-open for my tastes and I wanted to stop it down to f/2.8 at least. The 1.4G is outstanding, the AF-S is extremely precise and great at tracking fine movement to keep you locked on, and it's sharp enough to shoot at f/1.4 all day if you want.

If you happen to shoot night street scenes or in dark restaurants, look into the Sigma. It has Noct like performance and resistance to coma, but comes with the usual Sigma ailments.

I love my f/1.4G. I bought it brand spanking new with no Bing or Live or whatever .com discounts at $439 before the prices went up. The old 1.8D is actually a bit sharper, but can get really nasty bokeh. The 1.4D got too soft wide-open for my tastes and I wanted to stop it down to f/2.8 at least. The 1.4G is outstanding, the AF-S is extremely precise and great at tracking fine movement to keep you locked on, and it's sharp enough to shoot at f/1.4 all day if you want.

If you happen to shoot night street scenes or in dark restaurants, look into the Sigma. It has Noct like performance and resistance to coma, but comes with the usual Sigma ailments.

Usual Sigma ailments like what? Spotty quality control?

I love the 50mm focal length on full frame. LOVE it. When I first learned photography it was with a pentax k1000 and a 50 mm lens so this lens is very natural for me to use.

Ive posted this image here before but this is a recent sample of a shot with my 50 1.4 g

3801638350_895747e712_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe that will help your decision.

Wow, speechless. This helped me to make the decision to get the 1.4G

Usual Sigma ailments like what? Spotty quality control?
Some not sharp wide-open, inconsistent AF between bodies, front/back-focus, yadda yadda, the usual. If you actually get a good one it seems to be a phenomenal lens, potentially better than the Nikkor.

I'll endorse the 1.4G as well. I love it, probably use it more than any other lens at this point. AF locks like a vise, as Steve said... It's great for tracking kids running around.

If the 50 1.8 was not used and just neglected...what makes it worth it to you to spend money on the 1.4?
It seems more like, you're just missing that lens being covered, even though you never used it.
Seems like waste of 400+ for you.

Latest threads

Top Bottom