I give you birder's a lot of credit! (Eagles)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Nov 25, 2005.

1. I went down to the dam this morning in 18 degree weather to shoot eagles. I was not the only one there and we were all frozen! I actually had to get back into my car at one point and warm up my fingers... I don't know how y'all do it! But I did manage to get off a couple of shots. All shot w/D70, Nikon 500mm f/4 and 1.4 TC.

Parent
    [​IMG]

Parent and offspring
    [​IMG]

I got an itch!
    [​IMG]

Immature
    [​IMG]

Supposedly there are now around 60 mature and immature eagles at the dam. (Someone said 100 but I think that's a stretch...) I was also told that there were some Golden's and large Osprey in the area. I'll be going down again tomorrow morning. I hope it's warmer... :Shocked:

2. Jim
    my hat off to you! brutal conditions but your efforts were good!
    Dave

3. Great stuff cant wait till tomorrow morning

4. Thanks Dave!

5. Bring your long johns!!!

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey Jim,

Marvelous shots. You are doing well with that 500mm. I love it with the 1.4TC. Don't know about that weather though. The folks here panic when we go down to 50 degrees.

7. Jim, starting this time of year I wear thermals, a layer or two of fleece, my "hefty" coat, wool watch cap, ear-muffs, 2 layers of gloves. Yesterday was high-20 to low-30 when we got out, and yes the fingers get COLD :Shocked: Take some of those pocket hand-warmers too, welcom to the club :biggrin:

I love the 500 plus 1.4 TC combo myself, as you can see from most of my shots. These are great pictures of the Eagles, your next step is going to be the elusive flight shot, especially with the bird snagging a fish out of the river, I'm still after a good one of those. Patience is the key here, we had a great shot on an eagle last year and after about 30-40 minutes of waiting for it to fly a bunch of us left. About an hour later one fellow, who had been there and waited ANOTHER 45 minutes, came by with just the most incredible take-off shot, coming right at him from maybe 30-40 feet away.

Keep it up, but be warned, it is addictive......

8. Jim, I too love to get eagle shots. I will be ready this year with the 500. Yes, I know how cold it can get. As Bill said, dressing in layers helps. My coldest days were in the mountains trying to get some landscape shots using a handheld split ND filter. That is hard to do when the fingers are numb. I was with Bill when he was talking about the fellow that waited to get the eagle flight shot. What he did not mention was that he was a young buck with good knees. Keep posting your eagle shots. I love looking at them.

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Cold yes indeed but If I could get shots like these of Eagles I'd be right there with you!!

I think though I'd be whining about how cold it was, hope you don't mind :biggrin: :biggrin: :eek:

10. Thanks Harry. The 500 is a loaner that I can get nearly anytime I need it. I knew the weather would be clear this weekend so I borrowed it. I've borrowed it a couple of times and it is a wonderful piece of glass.

LOL about the 50 degrees! We could use some 50 degrees about now! :eek:

11. Thanks Bill! I know what you mean about addictive. I don't consider myself a "birder" specifically but I think I may be getting hooked... I know what you mean about patience. I'm going to try and get some feeding shots. I did manage a flight shot with an eagle holding a fish but that was at quite a distance and the light wasn't good, etc. And trying to track these birds full frame w/the 500 and 1.4 on a Wimberly was more of a challenge then I was up to this morning! I borrowed the 500 and tripod so I'm not familiar enough with it yet. I guess I'm just going to have to get my own stuff and practice, eh? :wink:

I think I need to hang around these guys more so I can learn about their habits, etc. But as I get older, the cold seems to get colder! Good idea about the hand warmers. I did dress in layers and was OK except for my fingers. I'm going to bring a thermos with me tomorrow if only to wrap my hands around a hot drink!

Thanks for looking!

12. Thanks Jim!

The knees must be common for us old guys, eh? :rolleyes:

13. C'mon over Ben! These guys will be here through January. I want to get a shot of one perched on a snow covered branch...

I was shooting with a Canon pro. He used a D1 for his flight shots and had it set to 8 fps. The sound that it made while shooting reminded me of your nickname! :biggrin:

14. Jim, beautiful shots. I haven't gotten an Eagle shot yet but hopefully this year going out with Bill Dewey or Jim Thiel.

15. Beautiful shots, Jim! This certainly doesn't help the desire to get the 500mm!! Not sure what Harry's talking about 50* figure. I don't like it when it gets below 70*:Headset:

16. The opportunity to shoot these came rather unexpectedly for me. I'm sure that Bill and Jim will take care of you so you can get your eagle shots...

17. 70 - LOL!!!

Thanks Kevin. BTW, I hear that the 500 AFS is even faster... :rolleyes:

18. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Great photos Jim... Well worth the chill...