I goofed, don't run new software when sleepy

I was browsing some old photo folders on my PC last night and found a batch that were made with a Sigma lens that I could not recall ever owning. Old age is starting to get my memory I suppose. Anyway I wanted to see if any other folders had photos that used this same lens so I downloaded a couple of free programs that look into the exif's and produce reports.

Bottom line, neither program was able to search for "Sigma", they were mostly organized to camera/model/exposure reports.

Bad news is that even though the folders of interest were backed up on three additional separate disk drives - all photo jpgs in those folders have had their exif /ipc entries blanked out. Nasty !

So be careful if you use PIEfree or SearchMydiscs. Apparently there is a nuke option that sleepy users can accidentally hit (or they got mad when I uninstalled them and zapped the jpgs.

What a disagreeable surprise! --Mrs. Higgins (My Fair Lady)

Another case for offline backups, or online with versioning. Not sure if the latter would cover EXIF data though.

Fortunately only blanked out exif on one folder, but on every copy of that folder on every on-line local disk, even within a .tib Acronis backup file ! Now that's weird.
It did not hurt my unplugged drive/s !

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Well done having a proper backup regime.
And well done spotting it had accessed the tib file. One can examine those files and recover individual files, but I would not have guessed that that program might have gone in and changed those files.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom