I got my D2X and....

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I don't understand all the fuss about "weight". No, I hadn't handled a D2X before, but it doesn't seem "heavy" to me. For comparison, I thought the F5 was somewhat heavy. The D2X seems rather "balanced" for lack of a better word.
    I think it's only a few ounces heavier than the D200...so what's the big deal?

Secondly, I'd read several months ago, about "focusing issues". At first I thought the camera wasn't focusing very well. Then after I switched it from MF to *AF*...wow. I'm impressed.
    I'd been a user of EOS film cameras, because to me, they focused more accurate, faster and quieter than Nikon film bodies. In fact I thought the F5 was the first camera to rival the EOS in focus speed. Just my opinion.
    But the D2x...wow. Talk about fast focus and lock. Were there focus problems with earlier bodies? I'm sure I have a later model.
    But as you D2x owners know, this camera is very fast focusing. I started thinking, well..maybe it's just fast on the 50 f/1.4. So I mounted the 70-300...and the AF slows down a bit, but it's very accurate. The 18-70...fast! The 85 was very fast. What I am impressed with, is I didn't take this out in bright sunlight, but tested it indoors in dimly lit rooms, and the AF is still fast.
    I know...it's just the tip of the iceberg and in weeks and months to come, I'll be finding out what you D2X owners already know.
    BTW, what firmware version should I have? I know how to check it, I'm just not sure about the version number.
    Thanks
    Now back to the manual.:smile:

2. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Brett,
    Thanks for the info.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Enjoy. I agree about the weight; at first I was awestruck by the D2x's bulk, after all the D70 was the first SLR I'd ever owned. But I quickly got used to it and don't mind at all. Not only does it seem balanced, as you say, but I think the size is partly responsible for the excellent ergonomics since they had plenty of room to put all the controls where they belong. The funny thing is how tiny the D70 seems now in comparison when I pick it up.

In addition to all the "wow" features that are immediately apparent with the D2x, there are lots of little things you'll discover as you use it more and more. It truly is a great camera.

4. I have the D2H and I love the feel/weight of it!

You are making me jealous with that D2X...dang, that's my dream camera!