1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I got my first medium format camera

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Amarok, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    Well yesterday I got my very first medium format camera it is also I think my first Kodak ever.

I was at my Aunt and Uncles having a family yard sale getting rid of the stuff we no longer needed. My uncle had put out his moms old Kodak Duaflex III camera kit complete with flash, case, box and book. I was eyeballing it all weekend, knowing film was available though expensive.

Well I started helping my uncle replace the clutch cable in his Subaru and he needed some metric wrenches that he did not have. So we ran to my place and grabbed a small incomplete set I had from Montgomery Wards. Now I have several other sets (complete) of metric wrenches and did not need the set. So I offered him a trade, the wrenches for the camera. He accepted so I now have the camera. He is also happy that I got it because it turns out that there was an exposed roll of film left in the camera, the last roll his mom would have shot.

So I will order a few rolls from BH to get me started. Anyone know of a place to get this stuff developed that will do spool return? I figure I will build up a few extra spools and do the 120 respool trick. Any other tricks or suggestions people have for this camera setup?

DSC_4534.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_4533.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. braver

braver

Apr 2, 2008
    netherlands
    wow, thats classy looking! bit like a rolleiflex, but more modern? what does it shoot, 6x6? seems like a very neat all around, wonder how that ancient exposed film kept all those years...enjoy!

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    How many watt-seconds does that strobe unit fire? :Wink: I think there are some places you can still get bulbs for it. It looks like a cool camera Maury. Be sure and show and tell when you get some images out of it!

4. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    I plan on making its first real outing in the next month or so by taking a trip down the Columbia river gorge. I'm thinking about taking it and the D70 with the 50mm mounted to do comparative shoot between the old and new, same locations times and angles etc.

5. Don't send those 620 spools out unless they guarantee spool return...they get expensive! One thing you might try, works in some cameras, doesn't in others ...is trimming the edges of the 120 spool (with the film on it) with a fingernail clippers to the same diameter as the 620 spool. See if it will advance properly. If it will, you can then spool the exposed film back onto the 120 spool after shooting and send it in for development. If you have two 620 spools you can spool onto the 620, shoot, then spool back onto a 120 spool to send in. I'm afraid, the few who would return your 620 spool aren't going to be among the cheaper places to get MF film developed.
    Or you could invest 50 bucks and develop B&W film yourself and not worry about getting those precious spools back.
    Congrats. Looks to be in really nice shape, hopefully it shoots as good as it looks!

6. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    Tim could you suggest a place to develop at least this first roll, the one that had been sitting in the camera for the last 30+ years? Or is there basically no chance of it being good? Basically on this roll cost is not as much of an issue. There is no place that I have local that even develops local anymore except Rite Aid and their machine is always down. So any suggestions of places to send will be greatly appreciated.

I will try the trimming of 120 rolls as well. I do have 2 620 rolls right now though I would like to be able to carry at least 2 or 3 rolls of film with me. I have thought about getting the stuff to develop BW though I would have to do it in a bag because everyplace in my house has windows. Anyone have a basic tutorial on developing the negatives to the point I could just scan them into the computer?

7. Maury,
    Talk to this place...
    Rocky Mountain Film
    The film in the picture looks like Kodacolor negative film, which they will process...for $42.50 including return ship, they say 80% of the film they process contains salvageable frames. They should understand your desire for returning the spool.
    Good luck!

8. LeicaM3

LeicaM3

Sep 12, 2008
    New England
    Take the film to walmart.
    They will send it to Dwayne's.
    Cheaper than sending it to Dwayne's yourself.

9. I don't think Dwayne's is going to process C22 film (which it probably is).

10. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    I don't think they do either. $45/roll is really steep for one roll of questionable film. I have also heard complaints that Rocky Mountain takes forever to get the job done. they wait til they have enough for a run before processing it. I would rather process the stuff in a B&W developer and get my results that way, or find some C22 chemistry and do it myself.

11. Oh, I agree it's expensive. But it's an obsolete process and I would hope they snip test the film to get an idea of how to develop it. Since they charge the same price for old C41, I have to believe there is more to it than just sticking it in the processor. By the way, I shot a roll of 1975 expiration Kodacolor II today, the cool old cassette with the black and white tiger stripes...I've got some other C41 waiting to go so I'm going to do a batch tonight...we'll see what we get as I've got some more from the same batch.

12. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    yeah the roll it had in it was an old roll of Kodacolor II. my uncle said it was more than likely from 1970 (around the last time his mom would have used it)

13. Well, my test was not a rousing success. There are images however. Will scan tonight and show some examples.

14. LeicaM3

LeicaM3

Sep 12, 2008
    New England
    I thought they do c22
    But a call would clarify that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.