I got the Cream Machine!!!!

Today it was raining so not much to do on the farm. So we went to the city. Anyway I stopped in at the camera shop and bought the Cream Machine as so many of you call it. I was undecided between the 50mm 1.4 or the 50mm 1.8 but I went with the 1.4. Glad I did. It was alot more money but I am hoping it is worth it. We went for lunch and I couldn't wait to try it so here are some shots unedited. I think I found a new love.

n628210132_363175_5063.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My middle Son Ryan

n628210132_363176_4706.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My Husband Steve enjoying lunch.

Sarah

Enjoy your new lens! Both the 50mm f/1.4 or the f/1.8 are great for natural-light portraits and obviously you're already finding this out. :smile:

However, as a heads-up, not to sound too nit-picky, the term "Cream Machine," as coined by Uncle Frank, actually only applies to the 85mm f/1.4...... When I saw your subject header I was expecting to see images and references to that lens. Different animal here... Nicknames I've seen for the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 include the "thrifty fifty," or "nifty fifty...." Either of these lenses should be in every photographer's bag, as they are great value for the money and are wonderful for producing images in low or natural light situations.

Dang!:940: Now I really want a hot dog! Doh!!!

Hey...congrats on the lens. It's a great one and a bit easier to use wide open than the 85. You'll really enjoy it for natural light work.

Enjoy your new lens! Both the 50mm f/1.4 or the f/1.8 are great for natural-light portraits and obviously you're already finding this out. :smile:

However, as a heads-up, not to sound too nit-picky, the term "Cream Machine," as coined by Uncle Frank, actually only applies to the 85mm f/1.4...... When I saw your subject header I was expecting to see images and references to that lens. Different animal here... Nicknames I've seen for the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 include the "thrifty fifty," or "nifty fifty...." Either of these lenses should be in every photographer's bag, as they are great value for the money and are wonderful for producing images in low or natural light situations.

Sorry for using the wrong name I thought that's what you all called it. Should change the title of the post but I don't know how. I thought the money was right so I bought this lens. what does a 85mm go for anyway?
Sarah

The reason Uncle Frank dubbed the 85mm f/1.4 the "Cream Machine" is because of its incredibly creamy bokeh in portraits and other images.

Definitely the price IS right for a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 and as I said, every photographer should have one or the other in his/her bag! It's a real deal for a fast lens and enables people to come away with wonderful natural-light images. It was the third lens I bought when I jumped into DSLRs with the D70 after a long time of playing around with Coolpixes. Bought the D70 and it came with the kit lens (the excellent 18-70mm) and that same day I also purchased (much to the surprise of the salesman) the 70-200mm VR. Never regretted that, either!! A few weeks later I returned to the shop to pick up the excellent 50mm f/1.4. Another purchase I've never regretted.

Price of the 85mm f/1.4? Around $1000....

Oh -- almost forgot! To change your thread title, click on "edit," and then click on "edit" again and that should open up the title field so that you can change it. Then hit "save" and you should be in business.

The reason Uncle Frank dubbed the 85mm f/1.4 the "Cream Machine" is because of its incredibly creamy bokeh in portraits and other images.

Definitely the price IS right for a 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 and as I said, every photographer should have one or the other in his/her bag! It's a real deal for a fast lens and enables people to come away with wonderful natural-light images. It was the third lens I bought when I jumped into DSLRs with the D70 after a long time of playing around with Coolpixes. Bought the D70 and it came with the kit lens (the excellent 18-70mm) and that same day I also purchased (much to the surprise of the salesman) the 70-200mm VR. Never regretted that, either!! A few weeks later I returned to the shop to pick up the excellent 50mm f/1.4. Another purchase I've never regretted.

Price of the 85mm f/1.4? Around $1000....

Oh -- almost forgot! To change your thread title, click on "edit," and then click on "edit" again and that should open up the title field so that you can change it. Then hit "save" and you should be in business.

Wow can't afford $1000 right now. Still one baby in diapers and 2 boys playing hockey. Maybe one day there will be enough left for my hobby!!
Great story about your camera journey by the way.

Sarah

Yeah, there are a lot of expensive lenses out there....the Lens Lust forum contributes to many of us jumping into buying and using them!

Prior to my love affair with the Coolpix (started with the CP 900), I had used SLRs for a number of years. The Coolpix derailed me for a while and got me into digital imaging. I loved the Coolpix cameras, but eventually realized their limitations and knew that it was time for me to return to my roots, so to speak....and that's when I bought the D70. The rest is history! :smile:

As for the 85 1.4

I paid about $1000 for mine (USA version) but it was worth it for me. For portraits, they say it is king.

Enjoy your 50mm and congrats! I look forward to seeing your posts.

As for the 85 1.4

I paid about $1000 for mine (USA version) but it was worth it for me. For portraits, they say it is king.

Enjoy your 50mm and congrats! I look forward to seeing your posts.

Maybe someday I will have the king. I have seen your posts and
I admire your work. I usually post in the people thread but since I got a new lens thought I would post here.

Sarah

Congrats Sarah on a creamy lens. I got my 85/1.4 today and am having a lot of fun with it. I couldn't decide between the 50 or 85 but in the end I decided the longer reach would better suit some of the things I want to use it for (school plays, concerts etc.).

You can see some of the first pics with it here:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=112938

Have fun with your lens and let's see lots more pictures :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys!

Since this is a thread about the Cream Machine...so I decided to ask here.
My question is can you use a filter on it? Since the hood is screwed onto the lens itself. And also the 105 VR can you use filter also?

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Sarah,

You got a classic Nikkor and you didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for it... smart! There are other outstanding Nikkors out there that, like the 50 1.4, will give you 90% of the performance at a tiny fraction of the cost of the pro lenses. Others to keep your eye on is the 35-70 f2.8, 60mm micro, and the 180 f2.8. I've owned them all and each is a bargain capable of pro-quality results.

Looking forward to seeing more shots from you.

Sarah,

You got a classic Nikkor and you didn't have to spend an arm and a leg for it... smart! There are other outstanding Nikkors out there that, like the 50 1.4, will give you 90% of the performance at a tiny fraction of the cost of the pro lenses. Others to keep your eye on is the 35-70 f2.8, 60mm micro, and the 180 f2.8. I've owned them all and each is a bargain capable of pro-quality results.

Looking forward to seeing more shots from you.

Thanks Woody,

You really know how to keep a girls dream alive.

Sarah

Hello guys!

Since this is a thread about the Cream Machine...so I decided to ask here.
My question is can you use a filter on it? Since the hood is screwed onto the lens itself. And also the 105 VR can you use filter also?

You can use a filters on the lenses. The hood just screws onto the filter rather than the lens for screw in hoods. For the more modern hoods, they attach outside of the filter thread, so filters can also be used.

Latest threads

Top Bottom