I got them to cooperate... (FINAL EDIT ON 1ST PIC)

Discussion in 'People' started by P'Cola-Roy, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2007
  2. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    These are all very nice Roy. #3 is really great. To me the crop seems tight on the first shot - I'd prob try to include more of their shoulders. Just me...

3. Love the composition on all of these, however, something's not right here Roy. Maybe the images are underexposed, maybe wb is off? These don't have the pop of some of your previous images. What did you do differently with the lighting?

4. Thanks Keith. I don't know whats going on with the color. Look at them in my gallery and see if they look better.

5. Thanks Fred. When I figure out what's going on with my color, I'll try it.

6. They look a bit better in the gallery, not sure why they seem dark when posted here. That's weird...

7. How is that Keith. I had to delete them and re-insert them back into the post.

8. Roy, love the shots and the espressions. Number 2 and 3 are my favorits.

You may play some with Lucis on those two. I was playing with them a bit and think they're screaming for LucisArt retouch...

Great work....

9. These are better...They're still good shots though. I checked the exif on one shot and noticed you were at f/6.3 at 1/100th. Alot of the studio shots I've seen (I haven't taken many) have been shot at from f/8 to as high as f/16 and as high as 1/250th. What were the settings on your lights? I'm thinking that your main light was dialed waaay down...but I could be wrong.

10. Thanks Kap. I'll have to look into LucisArt.

11. Thanks for checking the gallery to see how they looked Keith. I had a setting wrong in Ditto (I had to reload everything last week) and it res'd down the image too much. When I replaced them the Cafe's software kept pulling the old one somehow.

The main was an SB-800 fired into softbox/umbrella at 1/8 power. Fill was a reflector.

Next go around I'll try to make some adjustments w/ shutter aperture and light output and see what I come up with.

12. This is going to sound like a crazy question (maybe not), but why do you continue to use the SB's as main light when you have an Alien Bee?

13. Wow, these are some outstanding portraits Roy, very good job!

14. Posted with Roy's permission....

I thought this one was screaming for a touch of LucisArt... I loved the expression and the pose and kids can look so cool under Lucis.

[​IMG]

15. ponykilr

ponykilr

May 23, 2007
    usa
    Great shots Roy!

16. Roy, I am going to make a statement without even looking at your histogram. These images have an overall whitish cast to them that is indicative of no data on the left most part of the histogram. If not there then on the right. Tell me if I am wrong.

17. Thanks Paul.

18. Gordon, looking at the originals, and then at the files that were posted, There is information on both ends of all but one picture. Not great peaks, but there is information there. I think one is almost flatlined in the middle also.

Can you give me a little more insight on missing data and what you are referring to with the white cast and how they would relate to each other?

19. Not crazy at all. I bought the first AB to be able to wash out my BG. I will eventually buy a complete set of them (as camera funds permit). Even when I do get them I will still try to learn the CLS system to a point where I can master it, especially with everything in manual. It is ultra portable, and in some cases irreplaceable.

I have done a shot of our praise team at church. It was done between services with about 15 minutes to get everything in, set up, position people, shots in and broke down. I dragged the stuff aside and broke down behind some curtains but you get a feel for what I had to do. It wasn't the best shot because of the time constraints, but it was acceptable. I don't believe there is any other way I could have done it than with CLS.

20. I like the picture Roy, the kids are cute and the poses good. I copied the image and took a look at it in PS and I can now see what the problem is. The flat line in the middle of your histogram means that you have no mid-range data. Taking the picture of the girl, she has dark skin and dark clothing and this is contrasted with the bright white background. The data in your histogram is primarily clustered in the bottom one third of the histogram with the white background clustered in the top one quarter. In simple terms the girl is underexposed and the background is over exposed, not a good combination.

Shooting in CLS with this is not the best arrangement because the exposure value of these two "subjects" (wall and girl) are beyond the capability of the sensor to register properly. To fix that you must raise the light on the girl by bringing your flash close to her and lower the light on the background by moving the girl further away from it. That is exactly why I like to shoot with my camera in manual and my flash in TTL.

Still you can fix this (after a fashion) in post processing by ignoring the data on the right of your histogram and moving the slider to the left approximately into the center of the flat line. After you have done that play around with the center slider for the best look. What you are doing is letting the background burn out entirely in favor of the girl.

Here is my attempt at fixing the problem:

original.