I got them to cooperate... (FINAL EDIT ON 1ST PIC)

Greetings. I'm new to critiqueing (Who am I to say...), but since you asked. I like the facial expressions particularly in the second shot. I find there is something a bit odd about the specular highlights in the eyes, the glints. This is most present in the third shot. To my eye, the circular shape is distracting... In the first shot, his eyes don't have the circular shape that I find distracting, but her eyes do...

Perhaps, you see what I mean?

Cheers,

-Yamo-

N

Niecy

These are precious. I love the child's little expressive faces. All of them are adorable.

I like the picture Roy, the kids are cute and the poses good.

Thanks Gordon.

...In simple terms the girl is underexposed and the background is over exposed, not a good combination.

I thought this might be what you were saying, but I wasn't sure.

Shooting in CLS with this is not the best arrangement because the exposure value of these two "subjects" (wall and girl) are beyond the capability of the sensor to register properly. To fix that you must raise the light on the girl by bringing your flash close to her and lower the light on the background by moving the girl further away from it. That is exactly why I like to shoot with my camera in manual and my flash in TTL.

I say CLS, in these shots I am referring to the wireless feature. It was shot in manual, both camera and flash. I had full control of the settings. I just need to practice and get a grip on where I need to be with the white background and subject to background distance. I am working on shooting all manual, including my flashes so this is a lesson for me. I dont have a lot of room, but I can pull them farther away next time. I'll try to remember this. Thanks.

Greetings. I'm new to critiqueing (Who am I to say...), but since you asked. I like the facial expressions particularly in the second shot.

-Yamo-

Thanks Yamo.

I find there is something a bit odd about the specular highlights in the eyes, the glints. This is most present in the third shot. To my eye, the circular shape is distracting... In the first shot, his eyes don't have the circular shape that I find distracting, but her eyes do...

Perhaps, you see what I mean?

-Yamo-

Yes I do see what you are talking about... I think. In the lower left hand corner there is a reflection from the relfector itself. I saw that and it bothered me but I had already turned the "captives" loose.

Not crazy at all. I bought the first AB to be able to wash out my BG. I will eventually buy a complete set of them (as camera funds permit). Even when I do get them I will still try to learn the CLS system to a point where I can master it, especially with everything in manual. It is ultra portable, and in some cases irreplaceable.

I have done a shot of our praise team at church. It was done between services with about 15 minutes to get everything in, set up, position people, shots in and broke down. I dragged the stuff aside and broke down behind some curtains but you get a feel for what I had to do. It wasn't the best shot because of the time constraints, but it was acceptable. I don't believe there is any other way I could have done it than with CLS.

That makes sense. Why not try using the AB as your main, and two sb's for the background, then the sb600 as a hair light or fill? I think you're doing the ab an injustice by using it as a bg light. You may want to pick up an ab400 w/bg stand for that. The 800 seems like it's not being used to its potential as a bg light... Just my $.02 though...

Roy, the first picture of the two is excellent. Gordon's advice is right on. Their skin tone seems flat. The lucas art modification is a bit over the top though.

Thanks, Rich

...Why not try using the AB as your main, and two sb's for the background, then the sb600 as a hair light or fill? I think you're doing the ab an injustice by using it as a bg light. You may want to pick up an ab400 w/bg stand for that. The 800 seems like it's not being used to its potential as a bg light... Just my $.02 though...

I tried 2 SBs as my BG and I just was not happy with what I got. Maybe I was just positioning them wrong, I don't know. I do think because the light source on the AB is bigger than that on the SB it helps give more even light.

When I finish I would like to have 2 and 2, 400s/800s. I'll get there:biggrin:

B

BigPixel

All I can say is that these are wonderful! Smooth lighting, well balanced and especially superb as dark skin tone is so much harder to represent well.

I added more shoulders in the crop and brightened it a little more with sadows/highlights.

Does this look any better?

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Roy hope you don't mind I think you are getting some flare or spill from your flashes and I played a little. I LOVE the sking tones on these shots

Original
81505834.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit

View attachment 103152

Good edit Dan, I like that. You have removed the sort of overall whitish cast. I would be interested in how you did that since most of the mid range tones are missing in the histogram.

Gordan,

Just did a levels adjustment

Input levels on the rbg channel
27 0.96 217

Good edit Dan, I like that. You have removed the sort of overall whitish cast. I would be interested in how you did that since most of the mid range tones are missing in the histogram.

Latest threads

Top Bottom