I guess I need another T/S lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Harry S., Aug 21, 2008.

1. I already have the 85/2.8 PC and I am very fond of it, but I need something wider for landscape photography.
    The question now is 24 or 45?

I am rather tending towards the 45 because I am not sure if I like the miniaturizing effect on the background of the 24 mm. Also, I recently tested my 45/2.8P on the D3 extensively and I have to admit I fell in love with that "standard" perspective this FL provides on full frame.

Any other arguments pro or contra the 24 vs 45 are welcome.

Cheers

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    the 45/TS is f/2.8 :) 

3. :confused: :confused: :confused: 

4. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I would assume he meant this is a real advantage and reason to select the 45/TS over the 24mm Harry. Faster lens.

5. Hi Harry,

Currently, I am following some of the t/s discussions since I find the creative possibilities fascinating. There are some discussions on nikongear.com that might be helpful. I plan using a t/s on my D2x. So from all I read for a D2x it's the 24 mm since on DX it equals 36 mm, which is just mildly wide. And I plan to use the lens on landscape and architecture.

I have no experience with these lenses so I rely on others. It might be interesting for you that in one of the nikongear discussions a photographer using the 24mm and the 45 mm says: "Comparing the two optically I'd say the 45 has the edge; sharpness degrades a bit more on the 24 as you shift. (To be expected I guess, as designing a 24mm lens with such a large image circle is bound to be much more difficult)."

Cheers

6. PedroS

PedroS

May 4, 2008
    Portugal
    That's what I think, it depends on body.
    Having a D3, I believe the 45 could be a better "walk around" if we could call a TS lens like that.
    But using a 1.5 factor body the 24 could be a better option.

7. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    45 for fx, 24 for dx.

However, I must say, I'd take either! What a lens. I really, really want one.

8. It dawned on me when I was lying in bed this morning after waking up early and pondering this reply again. As an excuse I have to say that I was slightly drunk yesterday evening (a bit too much vodka at the farewell dinner with my in-laws who are returning home today :biggrin:) .

Cheers

9. Thanks all!

10. grepmat

grepmat

May 5, 2008
    USA
    With tongue only partly in cheek, I'd say it doesn't matter, as you will wind up with both eventually.

11. That's almost inevitable - lens lust at its best :biggrin:

Cheers

12. NAS at its best -- LOL.

Since you are in Vienna Harry, if you have a chance to look at the recent (August) edition of the German photo magazine "Naturfoto", you might be interested in reading the hands-on test of the 24mm. "Naturfoto" has only few lens/camera tests, but I usually prefer their tests to the ones of other magazines, because they test lenses under real world conditions (no resolution or vignetting charts :eek: ).

Have fun with your new lens.

13. Walter, Danke!

I read that magazin now and then, but I have seen plenty of images of the 24 by now to get a very positive impression.
    Another option just came to mind - since I am NPS member I will simply lend both lenses just to confirm my decision in favour of the 45.

I will take enough time until I purchase it, also I have to get rid of my 28-70 first.

Yesterday I had a very strange idea - I even thought of selling my 28/1.4 :eek:  (have hardly used it since I bought the D3) but
    1) I will miss the ability of subject isolation with a 28mm
    2) It has grown very dear to me
    3) I wonder if I would find someone in Europe who would shell out enough money to make parting with it easier :biggrin:

Cheers

14. Gern geschehen!

Don't do anything you may regret later. Of course, selling the 28/1.4 would get you closer to both t/s lenses. Is there any reason why you don't use it on your D3 as often as before?

With notoriously high gear prices in Europe, I guess you might be able to get some good offers for your 28/1.4. On the other hand, both t/s lenses will be around for some time, so there is no hurry in getting both today. Getting the 45 now and the 24 later or vice versa might be better advice, since getting the 28/1.4 back once you sold your's might be more difficult.

BTW, "Naturfoto" tested the 24 mm on a D2x.

All the best

15. Well, I was slightly drunk yesterday ... OTOH, if Nikon should announce a replacement, the price will drop substantially and I will get much less than I paid for - now I would probably get twice as much as I paid for :smile:.

I don't give much on rumours, but when I talked to the boss of NPS Austria half a year ago and told him that I have the 28/1.4, he just said "take good care of it" - whatever that means, but there might be no replacement of that particular focal length. I would appreciate a 35/1.4 more anyway - that FL is much more handy on FF.

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.