I hate stage lights

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by web52, Jul 16, 2017.

1. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Of course, without stage lights there would be precious little to photograph. But my current peeve is with the background lights that have to change in order to keep the audience's attention. (Novel idea: sing better.)

I really ENJOYED the concert. Don't get me wrong: I really like going to some of these concerts, and I realize that the "lighting" is far less intrusive in these venues than, say, at a rock concert with nothing but the harsh swings of light colors and laser shows. In those situations the photographer can harness the color to add to a photo. But when the singers are in white or light blue shirts, with tie, and black or dark grey suits.... well, you don't expect to have difficulties with color balance within shadows or highlights within shadows. (yeah, mind bending... the shadow has a highlight.)
    i-5CVqPZk-L.
    (available light, 17-55 f/2.8, ISO ~4000)
    I know that "white" is made by red, green, and blue on my monitor. I'm not that bad a noobie. But when the lighting guy plays around with the broad bands of light, I get the urge to just throw in the towel and just go B&W with all the shots.

In this concert, I was a ticket-purchasing consumer who obtained permission from the organizer. I used my Sigma 150-600 steadied on balcony rails, etc., taking care to not interfere with other attendees.

Because of the lighting, I now have red and blue shadows, like this:
    i-fk6ZL3G-X2. .

And several of the pictures have both blue and red in the shadows, some within the same area (especially the singer next to the keyboard)! Blue arrow = blue tint, red arrow = red tint. His forehead looks bruised.
    i-MDZmfw3-L.
    i-KL7zTHW-L.

Loved the concert, disgusted with the post processing. Oh well. I certainly got my money's worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I think that the lighting is understood by the viewer and that isn't a killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. What Lew said: no-one expects concert photos to look like they were shot in daylight.

4. web52

web52

May 9, 2008
    houston tx
    Thanks. I think I'll also try B&W and then third treatment: localized B&W with replacing with skin tones. We'll see. Just got back from a little trip so might be a few days.

5. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    If the stage lighting really offends then I think you may find it a fairly trivial quick correction in PS to correct with a Hue & Sat layer