1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I have $320 to spend on nikon Gear!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Muskieman911, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    I was thinking a used SB800 speedlight from adorama. An:smile:y ideas?

2. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    Flash is a pretty good idea, invaluable for indoor shots, especially with out pro glass.

3. How about a 50 1.4 or the wonderful 35/2. Both in that ballpark. Fast lenses are cool!

4. What do you like

to shoot? That might help us to better think of the best bang for your buck.

5. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    another idea would be a used tamron (or new if you sell your 18-55) 17-50 2.8 to replace your kit lens...

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    As far as gear goes, always go with your gut. Get the SB-800 flash. I use mine bounced off the roof shooting inside. Dialed in at -1/3 and using my 85 wide open and balancing the ambiant light to be 1/3 it looks like no flash was used. Very cool. And I use it in the feild combined with the Sb29 ring light doing macro. Have the SB 800 as a slave makes a huge differnce when shooting high magnification. IF you can, get the TTL cord that lets you get your flash off camera. Let there be light.

Gregory

7. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    I shoot Landscape and outdoor photography, and a little bit of indoor, some night.

8. Sam O

Sam O

Jul 24, 2007
    Toronto
    Sell all your glass except the 70-200 and buy a 17-55.

9. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    If you don't have a flash, that's a great investment. I can't even think about what I did before without a flash.

10. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    It Is Official!!!! I Bought A Sb800 Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Doh! I was gonna say for Pete's sake don't buy a SB-800! Buy yerself a new lens cap and spend the balance on Cigarettes and Whiskey and Wild Wild Women!

You know it makes sense!

:biggrin:

p.s. If ya can get a refund and wanna buy any of the above, I can get you a real good deal...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2008
  12. Congrats on the flash! You'll love it once you learn it, but before then you may just pull your hair out, LOL! I still have a love/hate relationship with my flashes and strobes. :) 

13. Nothing will

improve your flash shots as much as an off-camera flash. The SB-800 is a great choice. I think you can get a new, not used, one for $320, however (I bought each of mine for less than that new). I am very happy with mine, and the SB-800 is very versitile.

Not Nikon, per se, but do you have a good tripod? Equipment bag? They might come in very hand for landscape work, etc. Maybe a neutral density filter or graduated filter to help on especially tough outdorr lighting conditions.

14. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    Yes i have all of those things Joe. I bought my flash new. Mart if i thing of that i will let you know.

15. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Yay, there you go. Now, flash us.

16. Muskieman911

Muskieman911

Apr 11, 2008
    nowhere
    I will Linda!

17. Excellent! It will add range and capability to every lens in your kit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.