I have a good problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Electromen, Dec 26, 2005.

1. For Christmas I received a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 D IF AF.
    I got it before church on Christmas eve, used it in church with candle light service and on Christmas day, both times in natural light. The narrow depth of field at f/1.4 and lack of zoom do not fit my wants/needs.
    I'm going to return it to B&H. I already have the return RMA#.

Now the good part of the problem, I have $1,015 camera dollars. I'm looking at the 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF AF-S Zoom-Nikkor (beast) or wait on the D200. I know they each will cost more money, lens about $350 more D200 $700 more.

I already have a D70, and theses Nikkors 12-24 f/4, 17-55 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8, 105 f/2.8 micro, and 70-200 f/2.8VR. The 17-55 is the lens I use most often.

What do you think I should do? Any other suggestions?
    thanks, Greg

2. You already have all the lenses you need in the 12-200mm range. Since the fixed focal length 85mm did not work for you, other fixed length lenses are likely out of the question.

On that basis I would go for a new body - the D200.

Another option is the new closeup flash system...

3. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Greg,

I agree iwth Rory.Go for the D200. You have great glass aready, its time to upgrade your body.

I'm wavering between the 70-200 and D200- which are esessentially the same price, but since I have a D100, all here seem to suggest the new body.

Great problem to have,
    ENJOY!

Gregg

4. I think you guys are right, thanks for the advice. I'll save until I can afford the D200 and keep the D70 as backup.

5. If you can't adapt to the foot zoom method to accomodate that fine lens then I'd go with the D200. The improvements and new features will be great compared to the D70.

Don

6. Yep - D200!

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. I have both 85mm and D200 love them both

85 is a great portrait lens... dont under estimate it

the prob with the D200 is the battery and lack of being able to buy a battery :(

10. Yes, I admit I failed the test with the 85mm. I could not get it to focus in low light, I should have tried manual focus but I didn't. Depth of field, wide open was also a problem in low light.

Maybe my technique wasn't good enough, maybe I should have given it more time, but then I couldn't return it for full credit after 14 days.

The D200 has been on my mind and maybe I'm better off waiting for it. Time will tell. Is the vertical grip available yet?

Thanks for the comments, Greg

11. papa85

papa85 Guest

D200

Greg, Get the D200 you won't regret it.It is a great camera, I have one and also the D2H and all the lens that you have it will be a great arsenel. only difference is I have the beast and not the 17-55. Did not want the void between the 17-55mm and the70-200mm. Just my 2 cents.:biggrin: