1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I have a mac and I am looking for a way to scan pictures onto iphoto.

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by newfies, Jul 9, 2008.

1. I have an old printer, not used to print pictures. Is there a way to scan pictures into my iphoto file if I buy an inexpensive scanner/printer ? I really wanted Staples to do it but they quoted me $6/picture. I have about 50 pictures to scan onto a disc so I can put it in my iphoto file.

2. Hi Ally,

First off, welcome to the Cafe!

I have had success with laying the 4x6 prints on a table and mounting the camera on a tripod pointing down and just re-photographing them. Put the light inside the tripod feet to avoid shadows.

A printer/scanner would also work and probably do a better job, but it might take a couple of minutes per photo. If your printer is old, take a look at the inexpensive "all-in-one" printer-scanner-copiers. I have an H-P one that works well on my Macintosh and was only about $70.

Bob

3. nu2scene

nu2scene

Sep 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I also have an HP all in one. I have scanned a few pictures into iPhoto with it. I haven't done that in a long time now. But from what I remember, I just plugged the all in one in to the computer and scanned the photos, and the mac automatically imported it into iPhoto.

There may have been a dialog box as to where you want the pics sent, like either a folder or desktop or something, but off hand I don't remember it. In any event it was easy as far as I remember.

4. For negs, I have my old CoolScan 4000 (Nikon software) and for old prints, an Epson 1200P (VueScan software).... but I think the best (and most cost effective) method for your 50 prints is to try the direct copy method. Without knowing your equipment it's difficult to say exactly what you need to do, but Bob's right on the money with shooting downwards from a stable tripod. The trick is to get the photo as flat as possible (tack down with easy-release, double-sided mounting tape... or I've used an old adjustable photo print easel to secure the edges). Just be very aware of (and control) the reflections. It doesn't matter if you can't fill the frame with the picture... just get as close as possible while maintaining focus and stop down to f8 or smaller. Don't worry about exposure length, but use a cable release if possible... if not, the delayed release will help reduce any shake. Depending on camera/lens combination, you should be able to copy a 6x4 quite well like this. Some would say better than a cheap scanner.

5. Thanks so much for all your responses. I think I am due for an updated printer anyway, I will look at an hp printer scanner at either Staples or Costco. That seems to be the easiest way to go for me; if I feel a little adventurous, I might just try and do what Bob and Peter suggested.

Thanks again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.