I have a sharpness problem with my 24-70 2.8

Hi,

I sold my D2x with the 17-55 and bought the D700 and 24-70 2.8. So far I am not that impressed regarding sharpness from the 24-70. The 17-55 was by far sharper at 2.8. Has anybody else experienced this.

On the other side is my 85 1.4 so much better on the D700. The quality of this lens is just stunning.

On DPreview I got this feedback:

b) The 24-70 has been known to have wide open AF-calibration issues. Check yours out by shooting (on tripod) in live view / tripod mode and compare to the same shot using the AF-S focus system.

Can anybody send me links to this or give additional information? 1/10 pictures are really sharp but 90% of the portrait shots at 2.8 just don't look right. Little detail and low sharpness.

I am reading so many good things about this lens and I can't believe that the lens can be so much unsharper than the 17-55dx and also the 85 1.4 at f2. If wanted I can upload some samples.

Looking forward for some help.

Something must be wrong, the 24-70 is tack sharp!

Hi,

I sold my D2x with the 17-55 and bought the D700 and 24-70 2.8. So far I am not that impressed regarding sharpness from the 24-70. The 17-55 was by far sharper at 2.8. Has anybody else experienced this.

On the other side is my 85 1.4 so much better on the D700. The quality of this lens is just stunning.

On DPreview I got this feedback:

b) The 24-70 has been known to have wide open AF-calibration issues. Check yours out by shooting (on tripod) in live view / tripod mode and compare to the same shot using the AF-S focus system.

Can anybody send me links to this or give additional information? 1/10 pictures are really sharp but 90% of the portrait shots at 2.8 just don't look right. Little detail and low sharpness.

I am reading so many good things about this lens and I can't believe that the lens can be so much unsharper than the 17-55dx and also the 85 1.4 at f2. If wanted I can upload some samples.

Looking forward for some help.

Let's see some samples...

I recently sold my D3 / 24-70 f/2.8 which by the way were a wonderful pair. The results from this combo were outstanding!

I did though manage to pick up a new D700 / 24-70 f/2.8 combo. Unfortunately this lens didn't perform anywhere near my previous one. Sharpness and color where not anywhere near what my previous lens was delivering. I returned that lens to my dealer within 24 hours and he promptly offered to me to try the remaining 2 in his inventory. I picked the higher serial number of the 2. That copy without a doubt was superior to the one I was returning. It rendered sharp colorful images and I felt that I didn't need to open the box of the other lens feeling that this one was a good one.

Now the lens I returned was perfectly packed showing no evidence of been taken the out of it's original packaging since it left the factory. Upon careful inspection both the dealer and my self noted there was a "fingerprint" on the front element. This was not caused by me since as soon as I unpacked the lens I placed a B&W NC filter over the lens for protection. I'll never use a lens with out one. The question remains why was there this fingerprint on the front lens element, how did it get past Nikon QC before it was packed or was it placed there deliberately by an inspector to signify that the lens was not up to full performance and should not have been shipped? In any event It was hard to believe that there was such a drastic difference in the performance of this highly regarded lens.

Having experienced this myself I urge everyone to try one or get assurance that you can return or exchange yours if not happy with it's performance.

My 24-70 was tack sharp at f/2.8 for 6 months but recent on vacation after flying (using think tank airport international rolling suitcase) I noticed it was soft at 70mm f/2.8.
I noticed it was actually front focusing abit and after focus adjustment on the D3 it's now as sharp as ever.
Make sure it's not the focus and try manually focusing a few. Hope thats all it is.
BTW I love the thinktank dont think it's at fault. I think any sort of travel with bumps and shakes could have done this.

Voider,

I use this lens on the D3 and luckily for me, without any probs. I hope it stays that way. It does everything so well.
I always put a b+w uv protection filter on my lenses as adebartolo pointed out.

Hopefully it will turn out well for you.

Take care neighbour :)

Johan

i have 24-70mm on my d200 and it's mind boggling. no probs wide open

I recently noticed mine was soft wide open. I used the D300 AF fine tune and fixed it. Turns out it was front-focussing slightly. Now it is perfect.

K

Kotani

I had the same exact problem. I bought the 24-70 used at first, and it was unacceptably soft. My 17-55 on my D200 was much better. I sent it into nikon, and they said it was "within spec". I sold it at a store, and bought one brand new. This one is much much better, and I absolutely love it. I prefer the build quality of the 17-55 (like the front part), but the pictures I get from this lens is amazing. There are def. sample variations... be careful. especially for used ones. There's probably a reason why the previous user is selling a near brand new, all-round useful lens.

In my case I had to dial in a +10 for AF Fine Tune on my D300. It also needed an AF Fine Tune adjustment on a second D300 and it needs a +14 in AF Fine Tune adjustment on my D700. I think it's probable that some lenses works better than others on some cameras but I'm confident Nikon could dial these in if you sent them both the camera and lens. Regardless, since I've now setup AF Fine Tune the lens performs admirably.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom