I have a space in my bag

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by simonramsden, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I've moved things around in my bag and suddenly found some space that wasn't there before. Obviously this has to be filled, but with what ?

If it's not filled, the bag will be unevenly loaded - this will cause me to walk leaning to one side, which will lead to back problems. So in an effort to save the Health Service money in years to come... hehehe !

Space is about 4in long x 3in wide x 3in deep.

I'm thinking a second flash or a mid range macro lens - or can you suggest something else ?

I currently have : D70 + Sigma 28-70/f2.8 + Sigma 70-200/f2.8 + Nikon 50/f1.8 + Sigma 1.4x & 2.0x teleconvertors + SB-600 + Kenko Extension Tubes + filters etc...

2. A 105 2.8 micro or 85 1.8?

3. I would opt for the SB800 for sure.

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Or an 85mm PC lens. Seems about the right price and it qualifies as a midsized macro... ;)

5. No wide angle?

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    A second flash adds some flexibility, but is not strictly necessary with the D70. A 105 mm macro would be an excellent choice, but looking at your gear, your biggest gap is that you lack a real wide-angle lens. Unless you really want to get into macro, I would add a 12-24 mm WA zoom.

7. Sounds like just enough room for the 1200-1700 f/5.6-8.0P ED-IF AIS :wink:
    Actually you have enough room in there for the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM, which is reportedly pretty good, the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro, which is comparable or in some opinions better than the Nikkor, either of which are $500 or below, or the $900 Nikkor 12-24 f/4.

8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey! would a second D70 without a lens fit in that spot? :)

Wade

9. Some excellent suggestions in there - not thought about the second body, though I think it may be a bit tight for that.

The SB-800 would give me wireless options and multiflash capability - I'm thinking of a light tent at some point so the second flash would be useful.

Mid range Macro - The Sigma 90 looks good - I'm playing with a reveresed 50/f1.8 at the moment. I'll have to do some comparrisons to see how they fair - especially when adding extension tubes.

Wide Angle - not though of that as I don't take that many landscapes. But this would open up some interesting avenues - mmmm

choices, choices, choices...

Now if I add the SB-800 to my Xmas list (drop subtle hints to my wife...), wait to see how the reversed 50 works out, that means the space is looking good for a Wide Angle.

Simple choice really. Thanks for the advice, I will probably be back for more when I've shortlisted my WA choices.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    12-24mm DX

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Hot lights are better for this and cheaper. :wink:

Wireless flash is great. I use it all of the time so would recommend the SB800.

Marco with wireless flash is even more fun.

I haven't found a flash big enough wide angle shots. :wink:

12. Point taken. I'll have a look at some 100w halogen lights with stands - local diy store probably have something suitable.

I like the idea of 2 flashes with macro - need to get/make a suitable bracket to hold them both. I'd be using the SC-28 cable to sync the SB-800 and wireless control the SB-600. Theory sounds fine... :rolleyes: