1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I have become sloppy with midrange technique

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Commodorefirst, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well,

Shooting with my (now sold) 24-120VR has created some slop in my photo technique. I have noticed the decline in my skills with the new primes I bought. Before when I had the CP5000 I worked very very hard to get good clear shots, and I was really good at low shutter speeds with the light CP cameras. When I have the big lenses out and about I also seem to take great care, but evidently I had gotten sloppy when out walking and taking "snapshots" at least a third or more walking about prime shots are blurry! lol

I had been using the 24-120VR's VR as a crutch for just throwing the camera up to the ol eyeball.

On landscapes with the 12-24 I use a tripod, when shooting indoors at Hi ISO and low shutter speeds I have been doing fine, because I am thinking about low light, but walking outdoors in bright sunlight, and at evening at 1/30-1/100, I have operator error! Time to unlearn my bad habits I developed with that lens. Should only take a day or so to get it through my thick head. I need to relearn my muscle memory and or pretend I have a telephoto on and take my time, hold correctly etc. etc. I know how to do it, just sloppy.

I used to be real real good at this back in the CP days!

Cheers,

Wade

2. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Amazing how much better one's technique can become after a serious bout of bad pics. I find it is something that happens time after time. Then, there's the "I forgot what?" goof - my most recent was to shoot for 15 minutes thinking I had switched back to AF. Lots of wonderfully OOF shots even with a wide angle zoom on. But it does remind you that DOF can sometimes help.LOL.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I have not found the 24-120's vr to be helpful with bad holding technique. Whenever I am sloppy, I get blurry pictures, no matter what the lens. Of course, then I just call it art. :Crunk:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.