I have buyers remose with my D40

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bill-e, Jul 23, 2008.

1. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, I did a lot of research but I also let being frugal get in the way when I bought the D40.

The camera does most of what I want but I really find the menu system a hindrance. My memory is good enough that I can memorize all the buttons on the D80 and the like and pushing buttons to set things up is much quicker than the menu system. If I am doing landscape photography then it's no big deal except that it's tedious but when snapping shots of the grandkids I think the menu really gets in the way. I really don't want to loose a couple a hundred bucks selling a 3 month old D40 (that frugal thing again :)) or I'd be seriously looking at a D80 or 200.

Anyone else with the same thoughts?

2. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Thank goodness you didn't buy a D3!! :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  3. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    I actually like how my D40 drives better than my D80, menu system and all. There's like 3 ways to get to the menu system, and the camera remembers what menu item you were at last on a per-button basis which gives you the equivalent of 3 function buttons! So I can drive my D40 just as quickly as my D80 believe it or not. If you really want a camera that will handle fast and operate quickly, just go straight to a D200 or higher and don't look back.

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i find the d40 menue system simple and intuitive..was weird at first but now i like it..;-)

5. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    Bill, yes that exactly happened to me. You are not alone. I was trying to not spend so much and I too bought a d40. Sold in 3 month and 8k clicks later for $375 body only and now I have a D80. Shortly after, I bought a 17-55 which cost me more than the D80. Now I'm wanting a D300 and it's only been 2 months. I call this body lust. Oh wells

6. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Yeah - When I got my D80 about 1.5 years ago I really wanted a D300. Spent more than I should have on the D80. Now I really want a D300 because it seems like I see lots of pictures with better colors and would like better ISO range. but will have to wait.

7. RichNY

RichNY Guest

It might be worth keeping the D40 as a 2nd body- it is a tremendous time saver and luxury to be able to keep two lenses mounted and available without a change.

8. rgordin

rgordin

Jun 3, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I thought the same until I used the camera more. I don't have the camera with me now but, as I recall, if you hit the info button and use the arrows to navigate, you can quickly get to most settings, which you can quickly change using the rear wheel.

9. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The menu isn't all that bad but you do have to navigate vs push a button and ur there....I'm just whining I guess :)

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i absolutely dig the d40, especially with the sig 30 1.4 mounted....great IQ and tiny...;-)

11. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have that paired up as well and I might feel different if it was my second camera and not my only one :)

One issue with the small D40 is that the Sigma lenses are larger and much heavier than the body and even with my smallish hands the D40 is hard to grip with the heavier/larger lenses. It's a great feel with the plastic Nikon Kit and 55-200 lenses though.

12. I got a little D60 which is basically the D40's brother and I love it.

Tiny, and really nice IQ. All I need on a camera is "A" mode and a button to press to take the picture. I find the menus are just fine but I don't tend to go there much.

13. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ

Well that takes all the fun out of it! :cool:

14. Bill, give it some time, with a little work you can do anything with the D40, it's a superb camera. Are you sure your not just making excuses so you can purchase a new camera :tongue:

15. Well, here is another way you should look at it.

The D40 was the last of it's generation of that particular sensor, and most likely the image quality is superior to most other Nikon bodies; that is until you can get a D300. The D80 and D200 actually have a little more noise, but they have higher resolution. It is a trade-off. If you often shoot in bright light, the other bodies would be great, but since I see you are shooting a 1.4 lens also, it appears you may be shooting low light in many situations. The D40 may actually be a better camera in certain situations.

I think you are approaching this from a purely physical point of view, and maybe you should be looking at the final outcome of your images. I know there were many times, when I had a D40 or D50 a second body to a D2X, that I could not tell the images apart on the final outcome, and there were times when the less expensive body outperformed my Pro bodies.

What I think is funny, is that when I was shooting Nikon, I actually purchased a D2Hs, as it was the closest I could get to a D40 or D50 image in a pro body. I think in todays technology, your best bet would be a D300 in order to get a superior image.

GenoP

16. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Don't grip and try to maneuver and aim the setup via the camera body with a larger lens. Grip the lens instead, with your secondary grip on the body. I use my beefy 17-55DX on my D40 all the time and it handles beautifully, primarly holding and maneuvering via the lens first, and the camera body second.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. NateS

NateS

Oct 11, 2007
    Missouri
    I went through the same thing. Had a D40 for 2 months and ended up trading (a member on here) for a D70s. I'm much, much happier with the D70s for a multitude of reasons.....including having buttons for quickly changing settings. I also love having the top screen for quickly looking at the settings without turning the LCD on like with the D40. Obviously it's going to be personal preference, but that's how it went for me.

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

interesting note, Geno...might i say i was pleasantly surprised my d200 was at least as good as my d50 ..lol
    but ya, the d40 last in a long line of that sony 6mg chip. it's really got some bite and coupled with my sig 30 1.4 the IQ is flat out yummy. it's technically my wife's cam so i should have at my disposal for quite sometime to come....;-)
    and on another note, i prefer the IQ of the 200 over the 300..skin, color, etc ....;-)

19. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    How can you have remorse over a camera which is this good?
    [​IMG]
    Kittiwake

[​IMG]
    Puffin

Its a great "little" camera... superb when you just need a small cam but want an slr too...

20. layton7m

layton7m

Nov 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    I took some pictures with the D40 and had one published in a national car calendar! Sure I like the D40 but I needed the screw focusing thing in the upper number cameras... but other than that, im keeping both and using the D40 as my backup.