I have control

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Phil K, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Yesterday I went to my favorite camera store to get some filters (always a bad idea). The friendly but evil owner, knowing me quite well, let me play with the beast. Reading about it in the forum is bad enough, but touching it was unbearable. I was struggling :
    No, I didn't need it......but I wanted it
    It's expensive.......well, I just decided not to buy a new Mac
    I didn't have space in the cabinet.......I could sure rearrange a bit
    How could I get permission from SWMBO......I can certainly sneak it in and hide it

Finally, I had self control and put the beast down, and left the store..................with the 85mm F1.4 !

original.

2. Way to go Phil....now that's self control. Cute little girl.

3. I'll have one of those one day. It complements The Beast nicely 8).

My new theory is that lenses speak to us. The 85/1.4 just called your name louder than The Beast did... this time. But be careful not to visit that store again :twisted:.

Did you remember to buy the filters?

4. O dear, the filters! I have an excuse to go back .... :twisted:

5. Freudian, very Freudian.... :lol:

6. Used to be in the old days, it was some shapely young thing used to be able to make your self control melt, now it's cameras!! *LOL* Tsk tsk tsk, so sad that we're so addicted!! *LOL* Pretty little girl, Phil.

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nice one. Both those lenses are on my Lust List :twisted:

8. Wise decision... opting for Beauty over the Beast.

Glorious portrait!

9. It's not an easy decision but as Uncle Frank said, it's the 85mm this time.

But I know that sooner or later, The Beast will be mine.

10. Sandi, I once talked with a friend who was having incurable LLD (& CLD) and he sighed 'it's worse than women'.

11. Wise decision becaue the 85 is MUCH easier to hide. Salves that lust while you formulate your reasoning for the Beast to present to SWMBO. :wink:

Phil

12. Humm -- following UF's lead on naming, I've been trying to come up with one for the big-eyed 85. I think you may have just nailed it. 8)

Phil

13. Phil, you probably would be happy to know that you play no small part in my decision.

14. Uh oh -- another cross to bear. :wink:

There are certain lenses I can rec without reservation (shooter dependent) and after only one week of ownership I find the 85/1.4 fits solidly in that category. I will bore people to death with my unabashed love for the 70-200 and it looks like the 85/1.4 will meet or even exceed that lofty standard. Based on the excellent image you posted to begin this thread, I have a sneaky feeling you are going to be the same way about the 85. It may take a little more effort to get the image you want but it is simply a stunning example of the lens maker's art.

Phil

15. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Way to go!!

Phil, your post made me laugh out loud. I'm still chuckling. The lens is incredible. Although the 1'8 is great, the 1.4 is in another class entirely(imho). I'd be willing to bet it won't come off the camera for a long while. Enjoy!!!

16. Yes, just after 2 days, I decide to keep it on the camera for an extended period to learn to use it. Guys, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

The Beast can wait.