I have found my new High ISO King...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by smodak, Jul 19, 2007.

1. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    Having owned and used a D1h, D2H and D200 before, I used to think that D1H is the high ISO king. Yesterday, I had a chance to use S2 in ISO 1600...oh my god..it is unbilieveable. I did not know what I was missing. There is no noise. The JPEGs out of the camera are faboulous. Skin tone?? -haven't seen anything better. Flash exposures are much better than i-TTL or D-TTL. So, what I did not like? It takes for ever to write the image to the card..yes really for ever. It is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww..... but I am glad that I bought it. There is no Nikon that can equal S2 in IQ department, IMHO

2. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    thats good to hear because i have considered on many times...especially at todays prices haha

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    smodak: what do you mean by slooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww???? Would RAW be out of the question slow?

I long for clean ISO1600 and a 2nd camera body. The D1H is my first choice at the moment, but a Fuji w/ a SuperCCD sounds awfully tempting.

4. PWPhoto

PWPhoto

Jul 21, 2006
    San Diego
    personally if i were you i would by an S2 :)

5. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I hear stories of slow AF, poor battery life, slow write speeds, yet amazing images.

Since I shoot action sports, I'm not sure this is the camera for me. :confused:

6. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    It takes 5-10 seconds (I have not measured) to write a single RAW file to the CF. JPEGS are faster. If you turn on preview (I have not read the full manual yet) , then you have to click OK to save the image, if you have not, you have to wait until the image gets written to preview it.

7. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    D1H will be much better for action sports, IMHO. Because the Camera is slow. I am not sure about slow AF as I have used a 35-70 2.8 and a 80-200 2.8 on it and the AF seems reasonably faster. You do need a camera which can shoot continous exposures fast ( D2H or a D1H) with a super fast AF for action sports. Speed is more important than IQ in those situations.

8. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I would suspect that is more card related than camera. Get an extreme IV card and try again. I would hope things would be faster. My D200 RAW files bogged on the Ultra cards and flew onto the Extreme III & IV cards.

9. I think it's actually the camera if you look at RG's CF/SD database (archives) - it's really bloody slow, the camera can't match the card speeds, they don't scale linearly. With any camera/card combo, one of these elements will hit the speed wall first.

10. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    I don't think that the S2 can take advantage of fast write speeds from faster cards.