1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I have joined the 28-105 club

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dengar, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Found one for $165 in mint condition. Cant wait to get it! I'll post some pictures when it comes in.

2. Congrats, you'll love it! :smile:

3. You'll like it.

You probably have already seen this thread and many more like it, but if not it may help to reassure you on your purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Thanks...I decided instead of buying 1 very expensive lens, to try a bunch of used less expensive ones so I can try different types of photography first.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  5. Well I just got the lens and I must say its very impressive. Here are a few quick shots.

My son ****ed because he didnt want his picture taken :smile:

DSC_5041.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Next 2 are macro shots. Wedding ring, surprised on the detail its picking up.

View attachment 216580

Little bitty frog, just bigger than my wedding ring.

View attachment 216581

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Congrats! I just picked one of these up myself for use mainly on my F100, but I'm going to have to try it on my D80 too.

Here's a sample at 105mm and pretty close to wide open trying to keep shutter speeds up because wind was blowing this branch around. Not using the macro mode here. F100 and Fuji Superia Xtra 400 film.

[​IMG]

100% crop from Costco 6MP scan
    [​IMG]

Worked great at the beach this past weekend! All of these slower speed film. Fuji Superia Reala 100 or Kodak Portra 160 NC or VC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
    That's a great idea. You may find later that even the expensive ones don't show up too much better on the computer screen and small/medium prints than the ones you already have.

Steve,
    Great shots with the F100. I've been wondering just lately how my 28-105 might look on the D700.:biggrin:

8. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Thanks! Man I picked the worst time to get into film too! Now there's all this demand for used full-frame lenses because of the D3 and D700. I looked on KEH.com for a 28-105 and a 35-70 f/2.8 and the place is all dried up!! :eek:  :tongue: Luckily I found the 28-105 for a good price right here on the Cafe and snapped it up. Minty and a very late serial number too. In fact later than anything listed on rvink's site.

9. I am very happy with mine and its "macro" function is just awesome and can save the day.
    I have several enlargements hanging on the walls of my house from this lens, mainly from Grand Teton National Park and when I have used it at 105mm for portraits I have been delighted with its sharpness and rendering of fine details.
    You have a great lens. Congratulations and enjoy it.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It is a great lens, probably the best bang for the buck of the Nikkors. Don't make the same mistake I and a few others have and sell yours, you will regret it immediately, and only wind up buying another down the road.

11. Dumb question...is this lens full frame capable?

12. Yes. Lenses with DX in their name are the ones specific to DX sensors. They still work on FX, but with a crop that is forced.

13. That's my story, too. I offered my 28-105 and d70 as a package, and the day I sold it realized I had to buy another. In the end, I paid $50 more for the second copy than I did for the first, but it was worth it. I'm happy to have a 28-105 as my walk-around lens again. A few recent pics with it...

99261238.gif

View attachment 216587

View attachment 216588

View attachment 216589

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  14. sandy130

sandy130

Dec 8, 2007
    Canada
    This is a nice lens but i have a question regarding the focal length...I hope someone can answer it or even understand when i am trying to get across......i use a D50 and with all my other lenses, the focal length is correct when i look at the info on the camera when the pictures are taken e.g. if i take a pic at 300mm with my 70-300mmVR, it says 300mm on the info and on the exif info so its accurate but with the 28-105mm, minimum focal length always says 75mm but i know with the pic below, it was less than that (cant remember offhand, possibly 28mm) and i would notice this happening with all the photos taken with this lens....anyone have any idea why this is?..I haven't figured it out and maybe i am losing it!!..thanks in advance

2630455902_b1b34c4b32_b.jpg

15. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I had just the opposite experience. I paid $175 LNIB for my 1st copy, and got my money back when I sold it. I picked up a nice copy w/o box here, but for $50 less.

No matter how you do it, this is a lens no one needs to be without.

16. You may think you were at 28mm because you turned the zoom ring to the widest setting. But when you have the 28-105's mode switch set to "macro", the minimum focal length you can access is 50mm. In full frame terms, that's 75mm. That's what the exif data is telling you. Flip the switch to "normal" mode, and you'll be able to access 28mm, which in full frame terms is 42mm.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

17. sandy130

sandy130

Dec 8, 2007
    Canada
    What your saying makes sense but the only thing is, I wasnt on macro mode.......i will try some test shots later at 28mm and see what the exif says again and try and figure it out......thanks for your explanation Frank....

18. Ok I have a problem, the macro switch is stuck (in macro mode)...any one else ever have this problem?

19. You need to focus on something outside of macro range before you can move the swith to the normal position.

20. Ahhh....I knew there was a reason I liked you all. Thanks Frank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.