1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I just bought a bargain lens (I hope)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by JohnnyGator, Jul 16, 2008.

1. So last night I picked up the older Sigma 28mm f1.8 II Aspherical Lens (not the newer EX) used for $90.00. I think it was a pretty good bargain lens especially for a 1.8! I have the Nikkor 50mm 1.8D and was wondering if it is as sharp as that. I did a search but couldn't find what I was looking for. Has anyone used this lens before? Do you have any pics?

5194EWG7QSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for your help.

John

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Wow! I never knew this lens even existed!

3. Neither did I. I saw it was a 1.8 and a wide angle so I figured for 90.00 I wouldn't be at a total loss if it was a terrible lens. I had to make the decision on the spot.

4. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Looks like a completely different design to the newer EX 28mm f/1.8. I'd be interested to see the wide open and stopped down performance of this lens when you get it.

5. John I believe that you should do your own testing. It is an old lens and you could have a hard time finding information on it.
    Use it wide open, in the middle of the range and then at small apertures like f11 and f16.
    Look for color, sharpness and bokeh.
    Perhaps someone has used it and can give you some feedback but nothing like doing your own tests.
    Good luck!
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

6. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    Note: At f/11 and slower, you'll start getting diffraction issues affecting the sharpness of your pics.

7. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    For $90 you could hardly have gone wrong unless it arrives full of fungus or otherwise not as expected. We'll look forward to a report on it.

8. Well it's supposed to arrive on Saturday/Monday and I'll to some testing on it as soon as I get it. It's pretty interesting that I've searched the internet for a few days and I've only found 2 reviews and only a small handful of pictures taken with it. No one seems to have ever had this lens. I guess thats not good news.

9. sinigang619

sinigang619

Aug 8, 2007
    San Diego
    Nice find, congrats. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your test shots.

10. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.