I just can't win!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Aug 5, 2005.

1. I pushed all my appointments back to the weekend (even though I hate working weekends) so I can paddle today. No thunderstorms (which have been hanging around all week), blue clear skies, no haze at all. Just wide open sunshine. Get the truck loaded with all my gear and lunch and snacks. Get the kayak loaded on top. All the cards are downloaded, all the batteries charged. All the gear is in the waterboxes/bags. Just about to turn the ignition and think: better check the weather on the net. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Guess kayaks are considered small craft!! LOL

Wahhhhhhhh..... this just IS NOT FAIR!!! Wind from the west drives the waves so by the time they reach Toronto, they're killers!!! I wouldn't care - I can swim, bit of wave splash doesn't bother me, but I'd soon own an S3Pro/70-200VR boat anchor!! *LOL* Oh well, back to the deck and read photography books......
    original.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Sorry to hear that, Sandi. But safety first. A guy died of heat stroke in Hong Kong yesterday while hiking because he underestimated the hot weather.

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Man, what a bummer!

Isn't there some fun photography related land activity you could go do instead? You need alternatives just for days like this! :? Wanna edit some more of my photos? :twisted:

5. Yes Paul, my ol' sailing days (Sunfish right up to Amel Maramu) kick in when thinking wind = waves, etc. I only have to endure the outer harbour waves for a while until I get into the Islands but those 2.4 miles can be a killer! Literally!! I don't want to be the first forum "death by hobby" *LOL*

Too true, Phil. I'm a very safe girl - I wanna live to a ripe ol' age and tell whopper stories from a rocking chair. Don't want to be a floater! I'm amazed at how many people, during heat wave warnings, are out there jogging, speed cycling, running their dogs, etc. No water bottle in hand. Don't these people understand that statistics are made up of people who don't listen!!!???

It's just that Toronto summers are so short, we're into August already! and I just want to paddle after a horrible week work-wise....
    Thanks for the sentiments, guys. Have fun!
    "The Land-Locked Photog"

6. Steve, that's my thought exactly! (maybe I should get some editing done, nawwwww, boring, rather be shooting!)

My alternative: golf - wonder if I can get a tee time on a Friday afternoon - yeah, right!! LOL Can't do flowers - too windy. Can't do zoo - too hot for the animals, they're all inside staying cool. Hit a patio for lunch, some crisp, dry cold white wine, little pasta, and a photog magazine - yeah, there's an alternative!! LOL

7. Steve, if what we see in your avatar is the fun activity you're referring to, enrol me. :wink:

8. Phil, you certainly want to be a member of THAT club, woudn't you!!!??? No wonder he doesn't have time for editing shots.

OK, I CAN win - landed a 2:45 tee time so "Swing and Swear" it is...... Let's hope this wind carries my ball past 250...

9. Pasta, cold white wine, the hell with golf....

10. We just want you safe Sandi. My two boys and I had a really close call in a canoe on Utah lake. The storm came up quickly and we were just a tad overloaded. Bailing and paddling we made it to shore but it was not fun. Funny thing about it, both boys are outstanding swimmers while I do well to make it 50 yards.

11. *LOL* Dave, thankfully I can do both!! Then, afterwards, it's Tastes of the Danforth. Close off main road going through Greek section of city for HUGE street party and incredible foods.

Thanks Gordon. So glad you and your boys ended up safely at shore. I always use brain over what the heart wants to do - live longer that way! Storms come up so fast, and over water, they travel fast! I always have PFD and whistle attached but if you get bonked on the head (why most drowning happen to good swimmers), those might not make a difference. It's just that this sky is SOOOO blue today!! LOL

12. avalanche161

avalanche161

May 17, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Sandi---- Think of it as a new opportunity instead of a lost opportunity----- stow the camera gear for the day and find yourself a surf Kayak!!!!

13. Alan!!!!?? WHAT??? Go without my camera.... you must be JOKING, man!!! I can't, that baby lives with me in the kayak, we're a team, we're married, we belong together!! LOL and I don't know what I'd do with all the extra room!! LOL
    I went golfing instead. Some good shots, some incredible shots, and some stinkers! LOL But all in all, a good day - I wasn't shovelling snow....

Working tomorrow, maybe a deal.... paddle Sunday, see Sydney..... my little guy must be growing....