I just got banned at photo.net

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joseph S. Wisniewski, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Apparently, I took Bob Atkins to task one time too many for his "ain't I cute" flaming and insulting of newbies. I'm banned from posting in all forums on photo.net, except the feedback forum.

My forum feedback on this issue

But this will probably be deleted soon: can't let me get my side of the story in, can they?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2006
  2. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Did you ever watch the Addams Family Values. He sounds like the guy running Camp Chipawwa. "It's my ball and I'm going home."
    One liner put downs are easy, your calm informative discourse comes a little harder. Stay with it and nail him.:wink:

OR

Tie him to a stake and light the fire!:eek:

3. I am uncomfortable with posts where the sole purpose is to vent about another forum. I'm not sure how others feel but it adds little to our forum and is not about photography. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way but I did want to share my thoughts. Joe, you are a welcome member of the Nikon Cafe and I have enjoyed your images and comments that you have made in the past. Let's post some images.

4. I agree... what's the point?

5. I can understand Joe venting, yet I see Gordons point as well. There will be no resolution on it here. The cafe is an oasis from the b.s. of dpr and other forums with their trolls and cr@p.

Joe, grab a cup of coffee, check out some posts here, post a photo, relax. Here, you're among friends....

Sorry for the boot from that other site.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Let's ban him here too Gordon!

[size=+1]JUST KIDDING Joe!!!![/size]

It's certainly a bummer to get banned from a web forum, especially when you are used to the free exchange of ideas. Your point is well taken Joe, but since I never even go to photo.net, their policy has little impact on me. But realize that every website has it's own mission, and they pick and choose their members to suit that mission. Our mission is to provide a friendly online environment.

Enjoy the Cafe, and hopefully you won't be bothered by anyone's unreasonable attitude here (as we are all very reasonable!)

By the way Joe, you should have a blog. It's kind of like your website, but very easy to keep current. I'd love to see more frequent updates on your technical issues. And the chicks with knives ain't bad either!

7. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Agreed. The congenitality and friendliness of the Cafe is a welcome relief of the rants and flames that frequent other sites.

8. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    OK, let's turn this in a positive direction.

Running with Chris's idea, any recommendations on some good blog software? swissarmyfork is on ipowerweb.com, and it's reasonably full featured in its support for php and python scripting, as well as having image library support, mysql, etc.

9. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Apologies for my flippancy above. My painkillers have finally kicked in and I'm Mr Reasonable again!

It's nice here, good coffee, old furniture and a great view.

What's in these tablets?:Shy:

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I use wordpress for my blog and I am very pleased with it.

12. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    Personally I'm uncomfortable with somebody telling anybody else what should be posted or not. Joe did not insult anybody, his subject clearly states what to expect in his post, and one can always click on the link to the next thread.

So I take it that Bob Atkins is not very tolerant of those who are new to those who are just starting to learn. That's too bad. He's very knowledgeable, yet he must have started as a newbie himself someday.

Thierry

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thierry,

Gordon's point, which I fully support, is that this is not the correct forum to air complaints about other web sites. Such posts serve no real purpose, and are better handled at the web site in question. Joe recognizes this and has graciously turned this thread into a positive direction.

I hope that we are all friends here and that we can agree that the Cafe is not best served by what are essentially one-sided discussions. Let's just enjoy the good things about the Cafe and move on, please.

Thanks,

14. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Paul and Dave, thanks, I'll give Word Press a spin.

15. Joseph S. Wisniewski

Joseph S. Wisniewski

Aug 11, 2005
    Cool. Enjoy it. I love the place.

How long will you be there?
    It stops raining there?

16. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

1 week, and it appears to clearing up..

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Then you may like Movable Type from Six Apart. They also have Typepad which keeps you out of the guts, but somehow I just don't think that's you.I use Radio Userland, which is very geeky, but can be used at the user level all the way down to hacking the database. The program runs on your computer. Radio costs $40 a year but you get some very fast and reliable webspace with it - the program keeps running if you let it lapse and do your own hosting. Blogger (owned by google) has several levels of software, the base being free. It's very popular, and features an interface that runs from anywhere.

Those are the platforms I'm familiar with.

18. I was very careful in my choice of words and was just telling Joe how I felt not what he should do. I have known Joe for a long time and respect him. He is a stand up guy and his redirection of the thread is to his credit. As a moderator on this forum I have a responsibility and I was fulfilling it to the best of my ability. I am sorry if that made you uncomfortable.

19. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    So if I understand you correctly, complains about dpreview don't have their place here :biggrin: ?

Thierry :tongue: