I just lost my month long battle with NAS...

In an earlier thread, I pleaded for the forum members to talk me out of buying the Nikon 200 f4 micro lens. Well, the members failed in that effort and I lost my month-long battle with NAS...again! :smile:

A few factors finished me off. Eventually (perhaps by June), Spring will come to the Chicago area and I plan to start photographing flowers soon. Then, there's two upcoming trips that promise to offer many interesting close up subjects: Costa Rica and the Pacific Northwest.

I have a step up ring to bring the lens from 62mm to 77mm--so that I can use my existing filters with it. And, since the lens doesn't some with a lens hood, I'll just order the 77mm hood and leave the step up ring on the lens permanently.

As you know, NAS has no bounds. So, I'm trying to decide how to deal with adding flash to my macro set up. I think I might start by using my existing SB flash units and attaching them with flash brackets.

One good thing is that this is the last lens that I'll ever need to buy. Do you believe that? NAS would argue otherwise. And, NAS always, always wins.

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on the new lens, Glenn.
The more we deny NAS, the stronger it gets.
Best to accept it with open arms and hope the wife doesn't find out.

I knew you would get the lens!

Could you do a favor. When you get the lens can you take 2 pictures. One with the 200mm micro. And then the second one of the same subject and same f stop with your 70-200mm lens? Then we can really see the difference that the micro does compared with the standard lens. Really hard to conceptually visualize the image differences.

Thanks.

Congrats on the new lens, Glenn.
The more we deny NAS, the stronger it gets.
Best to accept it with open arms and hope the wife doesn't find out.

Not sure if congratulations is in order...it was a battle that I lost. :smile:

I knew you would get the lens!

Could you do a favor. When you get the lens can you take 2 pictures. One with the 200mm micro. And then the second one of the same subject and same f stop with your 70-200mm lens? Then we can really see the difference that the micro does compared with the standard lens. Really hard to conceptually visualize the image differences.

Thanks.

I plan to use the 200 micro for very close shots. So, I won't be able to compare those photos with my 70-200 as my 70-200 isn't capable of acquiring focus at such minimal distances. This 200 micro will be used in a very specialized way. For other types of photography, I have no doubt that the 70-200 2.8 is the way to go--and I would expect the image quality of the 70-200 to match or exceed that of the 200 micro for medium range type shots.

Glenn

Oh Glenn, I'm so sorry! It's truly shocking that NAS prevailed when given such feeble grounds to flourish.

(Believed no one ever)

Congrats on the addition. Looking forward to seeing your work with it, although it may have detrimental effects on my own battle with NAS.

...So, I'm trying to decide how to deal with adding flash to my macro set up. I think I might start by using my existing SB flash units and attaching them with flash brackets.

Ha! NAS I understand, and I can deal with it (to some extent). But lighting is a cliff I'm not even willing to look over.

Glenn, you may have lost the battle, but with NAS, the loser gets the spoils :biggrin:

Enjoy your lens! Looking forward to some cool pictures from you - and enabling others.

Congrats on the new lens I look forward to seeing more great work from you.

As for your battle and defeat in the ongoing struggle against that persistant foe NAS I can fully understand. I am currently waging a silent war to resist purchasing a 300 2.8

The only thing that is allowing me to hold my ground is the fact that the lens costs 7K here. I have considered grey importers at nearly a 2K difference but before I decide I need to work out what it takes to get it through customs.

Glenn, you may have lost the battle, but with NAS, the loser gets the spoils :biggrin:

Enjoy your lens! Looking forward to some cool pictures from you - and enabling others.

Thanks...in all seriousness, I am looking forward to shooting more macro subjects. I would be disappointed to not have the most appropriate lens for shooting in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

Glenn

Congrats on the new lens I look forward to seeing more great work from you.

As for your battle and defeat in the ongoing struggle against that persistant foe NAS I can fully understand. I am currently waging a silent war to resist purchasing a 300 2.8

The only thing that is allowing me to hold my ground is the fact that the lens costs 7K here. I have considered grey importers at nearly a 2K difference but before I decide I need to work out what it takes to get it through customs.

Thanks Gav...I think the 300 2.8 was my first major lens purchase. I don't regret it, though. It's been one of my favorite lenses and it has allowed me to capture photographs that otherwise wouldn't have been possible with my existing gear. Fortunately, it was about half the price that you are mentioning back then!

How is that for helping you with your silent battle with NAS?

:eek:

Glenn

Glenn - I hate to tell you this, but...

-Nikon R1C1 Macro kit complete $325
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=357245

(I have no interest in this sale!)

Wow! Very interesting price. Since it comes with the SU-800 (which I already have), I could probably recovery at least $125 in an eBay sale of that component which would bring the cost of the kit down to about $200!

Glenn

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom