I keep trying

Not discourage by my previous attempt and the encouraging words of Frank (Flew) and Dave(peet) I took this today as well.

bird2um6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a good shot with a tough environment (grey bird with a grey background). I'm guessing you're shooting all of these with your 70-200 VR lens? Do you have a TC on it? Is this a cropped shot?

It looks like there was not the greatest of lighting either which will hinder the result. I'd be curious what your settings were (shutter, aperture, etc) for this shot.

Keep 'em coming!

Yes all with my 70-200, no converter and cropped.

Settings:
Focal Length: 190.0mm (35mm equivalent: 285mm)
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 200
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

According to the EXIF I would suggest on a cloudy day that I would increase ISO from 200 to 400 and maybe 800 and increase exposure from 0 to + 1/3 to +2/3 depending on histogram. It may be worth a try.

According to the EXIF I would suggest on a cloudy day that I would increase ISO from 200 to 400 and maybe 800 and increase exposure from 0 to + 1/3 to +2/3 depending on histogram. It may be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I used to shoot Auto-ISO but changed that setting like two days ago. I'm trying to get the exposure thing in my head, the triangle of aperture, shutterspeed and ISO. Unfortunately it means I forget sometimes to set the ISO to the right setting. I was lucky to switch to A-mode as I practice in M-mode.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom