I know a D200 is coming...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jklofft, May 20, 2005.

1. because I’m getting a serious itch for a D2x. And whenever I buy a new body, Nikon releases something newer shortly thereafter. I bought my D100 – D70 is released. I bought my D2H – D2x is announced and D2h price drops. Given my strong desire for the D2x; this can only mean one thing – The new D200 must be coming soon :p

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Nah, not until you actually buy the D2x will the D200 appear - and at 12mp too ;)

Actually, I want the build of the D2x rather than the mp. So even if the D200 came out, I wouldn't get it.

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    How about the D2I?

The D2Hs is barely an evolutionary move on the D2H, and regardless of how good it is (and I do lust after one) - it is not too hard to imagine an 8mp version in the near future. That would be an awesome machine running close to the D2x as it should. So I see two new dslr's in my crystal ball - the D200 must arrive sooner or later.

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Ah... An 8mp D2h, I'd buy that in a heartbeat (assuming the price remains the same).

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    So would I except for the fact I just bought a D2X :shock: Got tired of waiting for that one.

6. Re: How about the D2I?

An 8MP D2H style would be great as would an 8MP F6.

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Yeah, I wouldv'e bought a D2x off the bat, but two things nabbed me:

1) D2x costed about 1K more than I had bugeted for
    2) D2h resale price dropped about 1K after their firesale.

That's 2K over my what I had anticipated. So I was dumb and bought faster lenses and an additional SB800 - methinks this helps me counter the DOF issue with the 1.5x crop anyways.

Now I have no money for a D2x. Ah well, I'll just wait for the next generation D3x. That will give me a good 3 to 4 years to save up. :D

8. I've heard rumours the D200 is coming out around the fall this year. Nothing confirmed but this would make me think that October would be the earliest you'll see a D200.

9. I'd bet a good chunck of change that there won't be a delivered D200 until sometime in 06.

I also highly doubt that it will be 8 FPS. Probably 5-6 FPS and 8 MP. If it was 8 FPS and 8 MP that would kill D2X sales. :lol:

JohnG

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I think they might have to do better than 8MP, coming out this late they really need to one-up the competition. The D200 needs to be better than the 20D or it will be a dud. I think a 10MP D200 would be a good move, with 5fps, MLU, vertical grip, better viewfinder, and better AF compared to the D70.

11. I want a vertical grip.

I don't need one; I just want one.

I'd probably be stupid enough to upgrade just to get one. :oops:

12. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Please buy the D2X so that the D200 will be released! LOL. I was in B&H a few days ago. The nikon guys there just smiled when I suggested a fall announcement. I think we all expect it to happen. Just exactly what will the configuration of the camera be is a guess. Nikon better hurry. They are losing sales. A lot of people were looking at Canon's cameras while I was in B&H. :?

13. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I strongly doubt a built-in vertical grip as it's the prime visual distinguishing feature of their pro cams.

Neil

14. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    D200 is due around Oct this year. The specs etc i have no idea about.

15. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I'm sorry I am so ignorant, but what is a "verticle grip"?

Gary

16. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    It allows you to use the camera in portrait mode (vertically) and still have access to the camera functions. You often find the vertical grips include command dials on the bottom of the camera as well.

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    IMHO, I think it's added bulk. My F4 actually came default with one, and I bought the standard battery pack in addition so that I could remove the grip.

In the way back when days, you could add an additional battery pack on the bottom of the camera to speed up the motor drive to shoot at a higher FPS.

Me, being old skool, like lightweight bodies and simply rotate the camera with my hand resting on the top in vertical orientation. But I'm kinda in the minority.

The main purpose of the grip:
    1) makes the camera easier to hold (for some) in vertical orientation
    2) extends battery life from 1500 shots to maybe 3000 shots
    3) makes the camera heavier (some people actually like it to balance out heavier lenses - for me, it simply makes my arms tired, if I shoot with a heavy lense, I usually use a tripod).

There's a grip available for the D70 too.

"Nikon's description of the MB-D100 (for the D100):
    Multi-function Battery Pack offers a variety of practical extra functionality. Holds up to 2 EN-EL3 batteries for extended operation time, a sound memo record function and vertical shooting buttons. It also features Nikon's exclusive 10 pin remote accessory terminal."

[​IMG]

18. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It should be 'vertical'. It allows the camera to be used in portrait mode while retaining access to shutter release and command dials.

19. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I see. It is a physical thingie.

I have been a Nikon user since 1971 (Nikkormat, F1, F2, N70, N80, D100, Fuji S3 Pro). I have shot probably half of my shots vertically and never needed any kind of add-on. I'm sure I am missing something, but I don't see any advantage of a verticle grip.

20. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    The one that allows you to hold the camera in portrait orientation instead of the standard landscape. At the moment you can add the MB100 to the D100 to achieve this. Some images of a D100 with the MB100 on are here.

EDIT: I was too slow, too slow. :)

Neil