I know something you may not know...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by 2nd Trick, Jul 18, 2007.

1. 2nd Trick

2nd Trick Guest

I know one of the lenses that will be announced with the new anniversary camera.....it's the replacement for the 28-70 2.8. I have a very trusted and reliable source that tells me that the new lens will be a 24-70 and we may see it around September. Stocks of the old 28-70 are pretty much exhaused and dealers have not been able to order new production for several months, of course the new lens will be even more expensive so it's hard to say how that will affect prices on the used market. I would expect a lot of trade-ins though. So a word to the wise, if you were planning a 28-70 in your future and your pockets are deep it might be worth some patience to see the new offering.

2. figures. it will probably have VR.. right? i wish nikon would release new primes.

3. It most likely will also be a G. Hopefully it will have VR and be a little bit more compact.
    I've been needing/wanting a lens in this range and if the new one has those features I'll probably be after it.

As to new primes - the money is in zooms.
    While I LOVE primes, for my horse show shooting they just don't work out well.

Don

4. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

how bout an f2 zoom?

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    VR would surprise me, with an upper end at only 70mm. G would seem a definite, making it lighter and less expensive, and maintain 2.8

6. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I'll keep the 28-70 thanks.

7. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    With all of the rumors around it's best to take this with a grain of salt.

VR may not be (as) helpful for portrait shooters when light is well controlled or flash is being used, but for the landscape shooters, it's huge for any focal length, even wide angles.

As for new primes, right now there would be only one prime that I'd buy (or want to) if they announced it: an ultra-ultra wide angle prime. 9mm/2.8 anybody? :biggrin:

8. I'll agree here. The 28-70 is an excellent lens, and to add VR and extend the range will make an already large lens even larger, pluss add distortion on the wide end. Quite frankly this could be a big mistake for Nikon, as it could also reduce sales of other lenses for the 1.5 crop bodies. Also quite frankly the 35-70 was a great lens on an F5.....Added range is not necessary for a FF body.

What would be a great thing for Nikon to come up with for it's anniversary is a Digital version of an FM, so those old manual lenses would become useful on a light digital body. I'd buy a body like that in a minute.

GenoP

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i hear ya on the FM thing Geno..maybe a digital range-finder of sorts ...;-)

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    The other suspicion I have, is that very weight and size that makes the 28-70 be called the beast? Will not likely be seen if they make a consumer grade 24-70. The quality we have come to love and know of the beast could be gone in a flash. Obviously, we just don't know for sure. But I am not willing to sell out on a hope, for sure and then be caught in a scramble trying to get a beast before the price goes bonkers.

11. Hi guys..

Let me be the devil's advocate for a moment.. I would be even "braver" than Steve in this kind of lens. I think Nikon is definitely able to produce something top-notch, even if the range isn't always 2.5x but extends to 3x or 4x.
    To me, of course I haven't any hope to see a 24-135 F2.8-4 G AF-S VR MICRO 1:1 ED-IF N... but I really think a 24-75 or a 24-85 could be really in Nikon possibilities, but, aside from that, it would just mean that a FF or something like that is really coming. Due to DX format, it would be meaningless rebuilding such lens only "for sport", imo. They could just produce an increased 17-70 or 17-85, why not, Canon too has one, as also a 24-105 prime lens..
    I mean, if this new lens is more expensive than the 17-35 and the 17-55, why one should trade his 28-70 to get such lens while he could take for much less another one? I really think if it's true, this is a kind of warning.

12. Another thing I noticed while playing with numbers..

Try to multiply 24-70 x 1.1 or 1.2 and look at the result:

24 x 1.1 = 26.4mm - 70 x 1.1 = 77mm; quite awkward but not that bad
    24 x 1.2 = 28.8mm - 70 x 1.2 = 84mm = looks like a standard 28-85 zoom.. it could be a sign the new D3 (or whatever is called) has a 1.1x-1.2x crop factor, to get a 27-80 or a 28-85?

13. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    i'll wait for all the trade ins of the 28-70 and scoop up a good deal..

14. Frank,

That well could be a great idea, but if a full frame does arrive, and it's fully compatible with the old screw-type lens, then the best of all deals happens to be right now in the 35-70 2.8D. You can get them as low as $200 in excellent condition, and that is even a steal on a DX body. That lens worked wonders on the F5, and there is no reason it won't look just as good, if not better on a FF DSLR. In fact there are many people that still prefer the 35-70 over the 28-70, point in being that Nikon will be stretching the limits on a 24-70 2.8 VR. Personally I love the 17-55DX, but distortion wise the 17-35 still beats it out.

GenoP

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Bet that didn't take a crystal ball!

16. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Perhaps, perhaps not. When Nikon upgraded the 105 micro to have VR and IF, the price didn't increase, correct?

17. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

amen to all that, Steve, Geno ...;-))

18. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I hear ya Geno
    I actually tried the 35-70 at BH on sunday past
    something about it didn't feel right
    I don't know if it was just a beat up demo lens, (or the crush of people around me ), or the fact that they couldn't find me a D80 to shoot with it
    so I picked up a SB 600 instead
    had to buy something after waiting in line...
    lol

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Now that would be crazy, if they made a film-sized sensor camera, but didn't make it compatible with their older lenses. Even if they are planning on remaking the old standards with AFS motors.

20. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Wouldn't that be the 24-85 AF-S G?