I learned something new today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by helmet155, Oct 16, 2005.

1. [​IMG]

I went to Bolsa Chica for about 15 minutes before it started raining this afternoon to get some shots of the GBH...well in all the excitement I forgot to check the autofocus selector and blew all the shots. I couldn't figure for the life of me why everything was out of focus!!! I was playing last night and was trying some water droplet shots and had been playing with the focus areas and had forgotten about it completely!

Figured I'd give everyone a good laugh :)

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Laugh, NO, been there done that, have the awful pictures to prove it. I was livid but now, its one of the first things I check.

I figure since you admitted this I would too. :biggrin:

3. Sorry, I know how that hurts - I usually forget to reset ISO after trying something using a hi ISO and have a lot of pics to trashcan that Neat Image can't salvage to what I was wanting.

Mike

4. I did the high ISO goof up already too, it's on the pre-flight checklist now too!!

Turns out the rain was more a spoiler than anything...one thing I did get to see was three cormorants catch fish underwater, surface and flip before flying off - hadn't seen that before...next time I'll capture it!

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Easy to do. I leave AF sensor illumination turned on so I get visual confirmation of which sensor is active.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    BTDT too Brett. I can't tell you the unique shooting opportunities that I've missed because of this or some other 'forgotten' setting changes that I've made. I now try to remember to go through each critical setting before I get to the firing line. :rolleyes:

7. I did a ton of autumn leaf pics at a provincial park on Friday, on tripod WITHOUT turning the VR off on the 70-200. It does make a difference so I have a bunch of pics that look like P&S shots!! I then drove back to the city leaving my Manfrotto tripod & head in the parking lot!!! Luckily for me, some kind person (who didn't leave their name) turned it in - gotta tell ya, this was one thankful photographer when I saw my equipment safe and sound! Another DUH moment in the life of Sandi Jackson!! LOL

8. shudderbug2

shudderbug2

Mar 25, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    Been there done that!

and I've made many other mistakes, ISO, EV and many other things. I still make them today too, just not as often! LOL

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Heck Brett and the rest of you that ain't nuttin............. how about leaving for shoot only to forget your GEAR!!!! :frown:

OK I've admitted it :biggrin:

10. I've left home with my battery still on the charger only to discover it once I reached my destination! :redface:

Only done that once though! :wink:

11. let's see I have forgotten to check: ISO, Focus, Battery, Whitebalance, CF card. Yup been there done that. Sometimes even more than once! :eek:

12. Duhhhh

Been there done that to every extent, the focus part not any more, I always use the lcd to check then turn it off and go through a set run thro before even starting. A long learned lesson. NOW heres one for the records, leave everything in the house but the things you listed so not to forget :redface: