1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I liked this from Thom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SP77, Aug 4, 2009.

1. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    He's gone off on his annual month long mental break, and left this note on his site, excerpted...

:smile:

Photography is art. There's no rules in art. Do whatever you want and have fun while you're at it. If somebody tells you that you're 'wrong' for doing something a certain way, just have a good chuckle to yourself and keep on shootin'. Feel free to break with the norm, go in your own direction, and blaze your own trail.

Right on! :cool: 

2. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    I have always liked and respected Thom and his points of view.

3. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Major thumbs up, Steve. I know a friend/acquaintance who bought his first DSLR a few months ago, and now he's writing on his blog and Flickr about all of the "rules" of composition and instructing everyone exactly what makes a photograph good or bad. "This photo looks good and is interesting because it follows the rule of thirds." Sigh.

4. AMEN and HALLELUJAH!

5. "So do yourself a favor and act like a kid once in awhile."

I think my wife would be happy if I acted like an adult once in a while :biggrin:

6. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

7. Hovmod

Hovmod

Aug 11, 2008
    Norway
    <taking notes>...free inner child...</taking notes>

8. Isn't there a rule about photographing in the nude? Any takers? Perhaps a collective shoot? :biggrin:

Sean

9. I've always wanted to kiss a coworker. hmm I guess Thom is right. Act like a kid. I should try it once and see what happens :biggrin:

10. I've always wanted to strangle a coworker. hmm I guess Thom is right. Act like a kid. I should try it once and see what happens. :biggrin:

11. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    :biggrin::biggrin:

12. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    +1

I like his ideas, he seems very down to Earth. I'd like to have a beer with Thom and talk about stuff. :cool: 

13. When we were all in Washington this past spring, I thought about all the ladies of the Cafe posing sans clothing but with just the NikonCafe flag discretely draped in front of us! LOL It was just a passing thought. I figured we could raise Cafe funds by selling calendars like those ladies in Britain!! :biggrin:

OK... next idea?? LOL (Note to self: Sandi, get back to work...)

14. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    Well Said!

15. intruder61

intruder61

Dec 16, 2008
    australia
    who ever obeyed rules:biggrin:

16. In photography, there is often too much focus on pixels and not enough focus on creativity. Sandi's idea certainly stirs the imagination!!

17. I agree.

To quote you Sandi " I double dog dare you" I am still looking for a Kayak:smile:

Well I have no problem with Thom's suggestions. My wife will agree, the kid in me never left, just got more devilish.:biggrin:

18. Joves

Joves

Feb 10, 2009
    Nowhereland
    Well if I release my inner child anymore, I will need parents.

19. neimac

neimac

May 26, 2008
    Idaho
    There is so many people I know that could really use this advise, oh well. I personally can't see the point of photography if you not having fun with it, and if your not maybe you should step back and rethink things or stop thinking about it. LOL

20. Sean -

Lol!

We're now up to CS #147, and I doubt that has been used as a theme.

Of course, because we haven't had any "self-portrait" themes yet either AFAIK, who knows whether any of our members have engaged their inner child in this manner?:biggrin:

Not that I want to find out . . .

Eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.