I liked this from Thom

He's gone off on his annual month long mental break, and left this note on his site, excerpted...

Thom said:
Everyone seems to want the paint-by-numbers, step-by-step approach to image conversion and processing. Funny thing is, of the images that I do show on this site, the ones that have provoked the most positive response have always been the ones in which I didn't use normal methods of processing. And for those, there's no "just do this" method that can be documented.

So do yourself a favor and act like a kid once in awhile. You don't have to have a reason to do something. You don't have to do what everyone else is doing. You can ignore the rules and instruction books and yes, even your teacher. That's how children learn who they are and what they can do. Don't shut off the child in you (or the child in your children, for that matter). Free your inner child and you never know what you might find.
:smile:

Photography is art. There's no rules in art. Do whatever you want and have fun while you're at it. If somebody tells you that you're 'wrong' for doing something a certain way, just have a good chuckle to yourself and keep on shootin'. Feel free to break with the norm, go in your own direction, and blaze your own trail.

Right on! :cool:

Photography is art. There's no rules in art.

Major thumbs up, Steve. I know a friend/acquaintance who bought his first DSLR a few months ago, and now he's writing on his blog and Flickr about all of the "rules" of composition and instructing everyone exactly what makes a photograph good or bad. "This photo looks good and is interesting because it follows the rule of thirds." Sigh.

"So do yourself a favor and act like a kid once in awhile."

I think my wife would be happy if I acted like an adult once in a while :biggrin:

I've always wanted to kiss a coworker. hmm I guess Thom is right. Act like a kid. I should try it once and see what happens :biggrin:

I've always wanted to strangle a coworker. hmm I guess Thom is right. Act like a kid. I should try it once and see what happens. :biggrin:

Isn't there a rule about photographing in the nude? Any takers? Perhaps a collective shoot? :biggrin:

Sean

When we were all in Washington this past spring, I thought about all the ladies of the Cafe posing sans clothing but with just the NikonCafe flag discretely draped in front of us! LOL It was just a passing thought. I figured we could raise Cafe funds by selling calendars like those ladies in Britain!! :biggrin:

OK... next idea?? LOL (Note to self: Sandi, get back to work...)

When we were all in Washington this past spring, I thought about all the ladies of the Cafe posing sans clothing but with just the NikonCafe flag discretely draped in front of us! LOL It was just a passing thought. I figured we could raise Cafe funds by selling calendars like those ladies in Britain!! :biggrin:

OK... next idea?? LOL (Note to self: Sandi, get back to work...)

In photography, there is often too much focus on pixels and not enough focus on creativity. Sandi's idea certainly stirs the imagination!!
I agree.

To quote you Sandi " I double dog dare you" I am still looking for a Kayak:smile:

Well I have no problem with Thom's suggestions. My wife will agree, the kid in me never left, just got more devilish.:biggrin:

There is so many people I know that could really use this advise, oh well. I personally can't see the point of photography if you not having fun with it, and if your not maybe you should step back and rethink things or stop thinking about it. LOL

Isn't there a rule about photographing in the nude? Any takers? Perhaps a collective shoot? :biggrin:

Sean

Sean -

Lol!

We're now up to CS #147, and I doubt that has been used as a theme.

Of course, because we haven't had any "self-portrait" themes yet either AFAIK, who knows whether any of our members have engaged their inner child in this manner?:biggrin:

Not that I want to find out . . .

Eric

Latest threads

Top Bottom