Critique I love abstract photography- more peeling paint

Nothing like a good wall to help me play for a couple of hours.
Wife still thinks I am crazy, she may be right. These never ever sell, but this looks so 3d and interesting printed and leaning against the easel.
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I love this kind of subject matter. I find it takes some concentration to get a crop that works. On this one you might consider cropping out about half way up the bricks at the bottom and a quarter off each side, right and left. That leaves you with an interesting curve in the peeling paint that I find more coherent.

It's a good looking picture Gary. I especially like how the soft light from directly above emphasizes the 'lips' of the peels. It does indeed expand the picture toward the viewer in 3D. Is this shot outdoors where you have little control of the light, and rely on happy circumstance (as you seem to have done here), or did you deliberately place the light. If so, nicely done.

Did you also try moving in to look at only a single section? I have the feeling that this type of picture would exhibit fractal-like properties, as the frayed edge of the also shows the nature of the aged material.

Thanks all. I love these things. I had about 30min where the light was terrific, in and out of clouds. But when it brushed the paint it was magical.
I agree composition and cropping is a lot of this. Where to start and stop is the big question. I have images cropped closer- but I liked the swoop on the left hand side that brought my eye up and into the curls. I think the bricks are an important base. I liked the weight they added. I am sure we could all stand here and shoot, and our images would all look different. I really appreciate how other people see this, helps me learn. I will look, I was so interested in the patterns, I do not think I shot any up close.
Be careful Mike, I have dozens of these.
thanks again
Gary

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
There are folks who would buy these types of images, nice 3-4” white matte with a black Nelson frame with a larger print size, might surprise you. I am always surprised what sold of my abstracts back in the day of actively selling images. Nicely done, good keeper.

Wade, I have this printed 20x30" on a nice mat paper, matted 3" white and leaning against one of my temp display easels. It looks great.
On a separate path, I am trying to learn how to laminate some of my images. I hate glass over framed images, I do not like the glare and separation. I had a recent gallery almost refuse to hang some of my work as it was not protected by glass. We talked and they would accept lamination as a protection. I printed this abstract paint image on a metallic paper as a test image for lamination. WOW. On metallic paper this image really takes a life of its own. I was shocked at the differences. Presently degassing for a couple of days before I laminate it. It will likely get displayed somewhere. Still doubt if it sells but I could be pleasentaly surprised.
Thanks for the support
Gary

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Wade, I have this printed 20x30" on a nice mat paper, matted 3" white and leaning against one of my temp display easels. It looks great.
On a separate path, I am trying to learn how to laminate some of my images. I hate glass over framed images, I do not like the glare and separation. I had a recent gallery almost refuse to hang some of my work as it was not protected by glass. We talked and they would accept lamination as a protection. I printed this abstract paint image on a metallic paper as a test image for lamination. WOW. On metallic paper this image really takes a life of its own. I was shocked at the differences. Presently degassing for a couple of days before I laminate it. It will likely get displayed somewhere. Still doubt if it sells but I could be pleasentaly surprised.
Thanks for the support
Gary
Yes the glare is always a big problem, plus the cost of anti glare glass is astronimical. Also funny how some images work on metalic and some don't. And that size is where the images really start to sing dont they!

Thanks Rick. I find it amazing I am still looking at an old wall. Most of my prints are birds, waves or landscapes. They are my reminders the world is an amazing place. Yet for the last week or so, an old wall has been on my primary display easel.
Gary

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom