I love college football.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by willsparklin, Sep 1, 2008.

1. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

Went on a road trip to see App State play at LSU for their opener. It wasn't much of a game, but that's bound to happen when you're going against an SEC powerhouse in their backyard (and make silly mistakes for good measure).

I had possibly the best seat in the house; on the 50 and seven rows up. The only thing I had to worry about was the players/coaches on the sideline. Here's a few shots with the D200/80-200, pretty well cropped.

pre-game:
    2816094073_dcb4307dcf_o.png

View attachment 246596

View attachment 246597

View attachment 246598

during game:
    View attachment 246599

View attachment 246600

View attachment 246601

View attachment 246602

View attachment 246603

I would like to extend a big thanks to the home crowd; everyone I met was very friendly and certainly not shy. If anyone on the cafe was at the game or resides in the LA area, I hope Gustav affects everyone as little as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
  2. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    great pics !
    take me with you next time

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The action here is very good, please resize them a bit larger next time for easier viewing.

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Nice shots.
    After last years upset At Michigan ,anythings possible with APP ST.

5. great shots
    amazing location

glad you found the fans friendly
    which is NOT always their reputation during tough SEC games.....
    i won't expand on THAT thought.... :rolleyes:

thanks for sharing these with us

6. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

Thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and do that now.

we 'd played LSU before to a 24-0 loss, it was the first year we won the FCS championship. To be honest, their O line is really what hurt us, and their Linebackers were finding ways to get pressure Armanti Edwards (our QB) on every 3rd down.

No, I figured the least. I had my fair share of 'tiger bait' and some kids in the student section shouted 'little league champs' as my friend and I walked by, but nothing I would consider offensive.

7. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Last Photo looks great to me exposure wise--- the others seem washed out as if Shadows and highlights was applied The colors especially yellows and purples seem muted
    Good action!! was hoping App would pull another upset But not this year not this game

8. pin sharp, great pics Will

9. willsparklin

willsparklin Guest

Biggest problem I had was controlling the highlights from direct sun on white jerseys while getting detail under the helmets. Any suggestions from guys that shoot a lot of day games feel free to chime in. I admittedly might have used recovery a bit to much in Lightroom.

After watching LSU dominate my other team (Va. Tech) last year, I came in just hoping they wouldn't embarrass themselves. Our field goals 'should' have been touchdowns... but we certainly didn't do enough to win this game.

10. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Black and White uniforms bright sunny day=Challenge
    watch histogram creeping up left side and blinkies
    try aperture priority to start with- get a feel for exposures -dial in negative EV-check histogram
    use what you learned and go manual,with settings you dialed in - just keep adjusting as sun position changes shadows fall into shooting zone
    I am constantly adjusting settings, from ISO to shutter speed and f's once you get use to manual you will feel in control and get to Know your camera- lens sweet spots in different lighting situations

I just notice the colors were very RICH in your last action shot in the series -which lead me to believe you were have shadow or high light problems with some of your exposures

11. Wow! that photo of LSU QB throwing the ball is great! The one of Asanti Edwards (#14 of app. state) too! That guy will make it pro. Probably not as a QB though. He will be a 3 time D-1AA (FCS) all american after this year.