I love making dinner!!!

I walked in the door from work the other evening, asked What's for dinner, to which my wife replied, You're making it! :eek: So, off to work I went.

On the menu: thin crust pizzas.

First, my ingredients:
8724343939_a011918863_c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

CZK_0657 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Next, my work station:
8725463292_be464b79db_c.jpg

CZK_0656 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Liquid sustenance is a must!!!
8725463162_5be26b5bdd_c.jpg

CZK_0660 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step one: Preheat oven to 400 (or 425 if you like slightly crunchier). Sprinkle corn meal onto large flat pan, put down several tortillas (your choice of size/brand, but I recommend flour/wheat).
8724343831_1d15f695e3_c.jpg

CZK_0662 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step two: spread the pizza sauce. I use regular Ragu because it's easy to get ahold of and comes in many varieties, but one of these days, I wanna learn to make my own! WARNING! Do NOT spread too much sauce on... these shells are thin, and it doesn't take much to "sog" them up... I use about 1 tbsp. for an 8" shell. Sprinkle on whatever seasonings you want at this point. This time, I used garlic salt, oregeno, and terragon. Then, a layer of cheese (mozzarella/sharp cheddar here).
8725463090_709851c331_c.jpg

CZK_0663 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step three: load up with desired toppings. This time, I used pepperoni, ham, peppers, olives, but we like mushrooms, sausage, etc.
8724343711_1fdfe59016_c.jpg

CZK_0664 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step four: stick 'em in the oven. I do about 12-14 minutes at around 400-425 depending on what crunchiness we feel like. This time was a "medium" so 14 minutes at 400.
8725462956_8469d33540_c.jpg

CZK_0666 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step five: pull out and enjoy! They are thin, so if you like to eat, like I do, you will need several to fill you up!
8724343585_4eb1a43bdf_c.jpg

CZK_0667 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Step six: you try it, and see how you like it! Let me know if you have any additions or better ways to go about this!

Great images.
I normally use Naan bread when I make these.
Preferences vary obviously.
Can never have just one either. :biggrin:
Now I'm hungry.

Great images.
I normally use Naan bread when I make these.
Preferences vary obviously.
Can never have just one either. :biggrin:
Now I'm hungry.

Yeah, we sometimes use flatbread or pita bread, as well, but we don't always have that in the house... we always have tortillas!!! :smile: Thanks!

I hate you people that show food, IT ALWAYS MAKES ME HUNGRY...!!! :eek:

Seriously, excellent shots and commentary...! :cool:

Awe, don't be a hater William! :tongue: I know what you mean... I made myself hungry again just posting these! :wink:

Looks good!

I make my own pizza sauce kinda by taste and feel. I add one can of tomato sauce to a can of tomato paste (keeps it kind of thick so it doesn't run off the pizza). To the sauce I add kosher salt, pizza seasoning, garlic powder and minced onion. I'm a big fan of Penzey's spices. I let the sauce sit while I am making the dough for the crust. After the sauce has sat a few minutes, I taste and adjust seasonings. Sometimes I add a can of tomato paste to a can of diced tomatoes for a chunkier sauce. Easy as pie.

Pizza looks good tasty. ! BUt unfortunately with my high choelstrol. I get chest pain every time
eat that much cheese. What about garlic bread.

Reminds me of pizzadilla's. which is a quesadilla filled with pizza cheese/toppings en dipped in pizza sauce.

Cool.....love pizza. Get a pizza stone for your oven and you will love the crust, even more. :biggrin:

We just use the stock Pizza bread from the store. We cook it on the bare rack in the stove since my wife loves it very crispy. More often than not, it is canadian bacon and pineapple with a heaping helping of mozzarella and Contadina pizza sauce.

We live 145 miles from the nearest store. I make pizza from scratch. It's really easy. A simple yeast bread dough, but I add some semolina flour in, which makes it more crispy. Sauce is crushed garlic, cooked in olive oil until lightly browned, then I add organic tomato sauce, fresh oregano (we grow it), some water, and simmer until thickened. I've never had luck throwing the dough, and making it evenly thin. I roll it out, make it evenly thin. Put on a peel with some corn meal to keep from sticking. Add sauce, and whatever extras you want. Bake on a preheated pizza stone for 15-20 minutes (475 for an hour to preheat the stone). Makes for a crispy crust. Best pizza you can get without driving 145 miles to the nearest pizza place which has ovens that are much hotter than a home oven.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I was planning on asking for a pizza stone for my Father's Day gift... and I have been wanting to try grilling/smoking a pizza for a while now... what wood chips would work for this? I currently have mesquite, hickory, apple, and cherry... I'm thinking hickory would be best for pizza. And yes, I really have to get my wife to make the dough for "true" pizza!

Latest threads

Top Bottom