I love my 500/4P

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ming Thein, Dec 29, 2005.

1. I don't know what bird this is, nor do I really care. But I *love* this lens. :) Now if only I had my D2H with the directional focusing arrows...

Ming

D200 @iso 400, 500/4P @f4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Pretty Birdie Ming.
    I don't know what he is either. Looks similar to a wax wing.

You are having to much fun :>))

Keep up the good work

3. For that money I would hope so! :biggrin:

Seriously... the shots you've been posting are breath-taking.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Probably is a jay - thanks Paul. Shot from my parents' house in southeast London. No such birds in KL :)

Thanks guys!

Ming

6. Tordenmulen

Tordenmulen Guest

Hi - the bird is a (european) Jay (Garrulus glandarius). Apart from being beautiful, it has a remarkable memory: During autumn it hides thousands of acorn & nuts, and are able to find most of them again during winter.

Peter

7. Impressive indeed - thanks for the positive ID, Peter.

Ming

8. Ming, how do you find the "handling" of that 500 f/4-P in terms of weight and ease-of-focusing?? If I'm remembering correctly, it is lighter than the other 500s, right? Are you using a Wimberley or anything like that with it?? And Where did you get this nifty P???? Thanks!!

9. Hi Andrea,

It's light enough to handhold (in fact I've been handholding it entirely so far, my tripod is back home in KL), and easy enough to MF whilst handheld - I don't mind it at all. Has great balance. Weight is about 3.2kg with the hood on, if I'm not mistaken.

I think most of the time I'll be using it directly on a monopod; if not, probably with my Manfrotto Hydrostat.

Found it in Jacobs New Oxford Street branch, London. They also had a nearly mint AI 800/5.6, but I think my neighbor is going back for that :)

Ming

10. Very impressive!
    I've been considering the P but fear I'd miss AFC for moving targets. I've gotten sooo out of practice at manual focus.

Don