I love my D2x !!! WARNING - Eleven large images of flowers.

G

Gordon Large

I got my first chance to put my new toy to the test this weekend during a visit to Longwood Gardens (between Philly and Wilmington). I was using the D2x with the 70-200VR and for some images either a 25mm or 50mm extension tube. Most shot in natural light. No tripod, and no serious attempt to capture "serious art" images. In fact, there are more than a few examples of user error.

These images are basically straight out of the camera. Auto white balance, an occasional tweak in levels, sharpening, and downsizing and conversion to JPEG and sRGB, all done in NC 4.2.1. I would like to hear your conclusions, but I think the colors and detail (at least where in focus) are stunning. The image colors and shadings are amazingly close to the actual flowers.

Don't ask me what any of these are. I have a hard enough time with birds with my Sibley in my pocket. Here goes -

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 6461

View attachment 6462

View attachment 6463

View attachment 6464

View attachment 6465

View attachment 6466

View attachment 6467

View attachment 6468

View attachment 6469

View attachment 6470

That all, folks! Thanks for looking.

Gordon

Those are excellent!!

Great shots. The deatil is amazing. Can't wait to start challenging my D2X with subjects like those, but here in Michigan, there is just nothing very appealing to take photos of right now (with my schedule, at least).

Keep posting more.

These are beautiful Gordon, but I get the feeling that the originals look even more astonishing. 8)

Hard to convey the detail in a 12MP shot with a .4MP jpg. I wish I could see some first hand (and I mean with my own X in my own hands....;-)).

Regards,

Frank :p

Well, I had the world's longest dog post,

which, I believe was a 1st here, so why shouldn't you have the honor of having the world's longest picture post! :shock:
#'s 5, 9, & 11 are my faves. Their delicate folds and shadings are great.

G

Gordon Large

mike mac said:
Look great will be heading there either Sat Sun Mon or tuesday for some shooting

Mike -

Do you happen to know when tripods are allowed in? It would make a huge difference in getting the best possible images. You've been there before so I'm sure you know this, but I was there on a bright sunny day which provided perfect soft lighting inside the arboretum. There isn't much outside yet. The first two images were the only flowers we saw. You'll need a micro or extension tubes for the little white guys as they were only the size of a dime. But at this time of year a week makes a big difference so you may see a lot more outside.

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

PhotoDawg said:
Ahhhhhh, I can almost smell them!! Fantastic photograhy Gordon. Spring is right around the corner!! :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks Bryan -

Sure it is. We've got some snow in our forecast later this week. :cry: We need about two more weeks before it's really spring up here. You'll have summer by then! :wink:

BTW, the imagery in the quote in your signature is beautiful.

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Re: Those are excellent!!

pbenedic said:
Great shots. The deatil is amazing. Can't wait to start challenging my D2X with subjects like those, but here in Michigan, there is just nothing very appealing to take photos of right now (with my schedule, at least).

Keep posting more.

Thanks Pat. I know how you feel about nothing appealing. At least up North you should have had some good winter scenery (pre-D2x unfortunately), but mostly here in PA we just have bleak followed by more bleak. But it will start to get beautiful here in the next few weeks. Hang in there. You get spring in.....is it July? :p

Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Flew said:
These are beautiful Gordon, but I get the feeling that the originals look even more astonishing. 8)

Hard to convey the detail in a 12MP shot with a .4MP jpg. I wish I could see some first hand (and I mean with my own X in my own hands....;-)).

Regards,

Frank :p

Thanks Frank -

You are right - the original 12MP images are amazing. When (when, not if) you get the X, you will love it. You already take great birdie pics, but just wait until you see the fleas on the feathers. And you get the ability to make a big crop and still have good detail. I'm looking forward to the birdies making their way up here...

Cheers,
Gordon

G

Gordon Large

Re: Well, I had the world's longest dog post,

Steve S said:
which, I believe was a 1st here, so why shouldn't you have the honor of having the world's longest picture post! :shock:
#'s 5, 9, & 11 are my faves. Their delicate folds and shadings are great.

Hey Steve -

I didn't know I was going after a record. :eek: I agree with your picks. The beautiful saturated colors of the rest are great, but this camera really shines when there are subtle details and shadings.

Cheers,
Gordon

G

Gordon Large

greyflash said:
Beautiful series of images Gordon. I love the shades of blue on the last one.

Thanks Gordon -

I'm really delighted with the D2x's ability to faithfully capture subtle variations of color, as in that image. And the detail is awesome. Hard to go wrong with that camera!

Cheers,
Gordon

Gordon Large said:
mike mac said:
Look great will be heading there either Sat Sun Mon or tuesday for some shooting

Mike -

Do you happen to know when tripods are allowed in? It would make a huge difference in getting the best possible images. You've been there before so I'm sure you know this, but I was there on a bright sunny day which provided perfect soft lighting inside the arboretum. There isn't much outside yet. The first two images were the only flowers we saw. You'll need a micro or extension tubes for the little white guys as they were only the size of a dime. But at this time of year a week makes a big difference so you may see a lot more outside.

Gordon
I PMe'd you about tripods I woudl do most of my shots in the orchid room, they are my favorite.

Latest threads

Top Bottom