1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

I Love My D850, but do I really need it?

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by Ron Scubadiver, Sep 8, 2018.

1. I was walking past the Nikon counter at Best Buy the other day, a sales associate walked up to me and I said, I love my D850, but it is a luxury to have it. The thought just popped into my head.

Tons of great photos get taken with much less expensive cameras. I could probably do just as well with a D7x00 and not as many lenses. I have more, and will not be selling my D850 or any glass to prove anything. Just time to thank my lucky stars.

• Like Like x 1
  2. That might be t rue but many of us like having special cameras - D850, highest MP Canon, Leica ...... It is a disease. :) 

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Need? I only shoot 2-3 times a year, yet I have some really nice gear. So....I don't need it......until I need it! :D 

4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911

Mar 20, 2017
    Central Ohio
    Andrew
    Ron,

I'm in a similar mindset. Actually, I'm doing some real soul searching here about my photography situation, to be honest. I think I'll post a thread about it later.

There are a lot of things that we consider necessities in life that are actually luxuries. As you stated, though, it is nice be in position to be able to have such luxuries.

I then consider the amount of good that I can do with the luxuries I have.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  5. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Unless one makes a living with a camera need has very little to do with it. But no different than any other hobby/pastime.

6. We need food, water, air and protection from the environment (shelter, clothing and health services and products that keep us alive). Everything else is a want and, thus, a luxury.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I agree with Dan's above comment. For most of us, it's not a matter of need but rather enjoying the hobby we've chosen. And I do feel very fortunate to be able to afford some of the finer elements of this hobby.

8. I guess we could all live in prefab housing, drive a $14,000 Ford Fiesta S, eat Velveta cheese, drink bud lite or 2-buck chuck, shop at kmart, etc., etc. Besides making a living, the joy of using a well designed and crafted creation is worth something. Right?

9. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    Apparently those of us who own a D850 think the above mentioned joy is worth $3300 :) 

10. Exactly, me too. One of my "little" splurges :joyful: :whistle: :) 

11. Actually, I drink 2 buck Chuck now and then and shop at Walmart. I don't drink But Light, but don't have a stock of single malt's either. If I couldn't afford a decent car, I would find an old pickup. Prefab housing, heaven forbid.

There is a benefit to being frugal, but it's relative. Recently, most of what was in my house went out to the curb, curtesy of the flooding from Harvey. It does give one something to think about. We have bought a lot of stuff since then, but have avoided luxury furniture. Many things will never be replaced.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sure, the big one is that it lets us splurge when we want to :D 

• Like Like x 1
  13. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Asking yourself this seems to be the first evidence of midlife crisis... ;) :) :D 

Regards
    Klaus

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tony-b

tony-b

Sep 13, 2008
    Viera, FL
    My father passed in 2002. My mother passed in 2015. Their home was filled with “stuff” that they had accumulated and enjoyed throughout their lifetimes. Aside from their photo albums and slides, after it was all said and done, I have two small shoebox sized plastic containers that has everything I wanted from my parents. But they enjoyed it while they were here.

I don’t know what my daughter will keep that she thinks is “me” but I doubt it will be the shelf of Nikon gear in my office. Until then, I’m having fun. Anytime this kind of stuff comes up, I think about the attached screen grab from a website I came upon right after my mom got the terminal cancer news.

Yeah, I’m fortunate to be able to have fun with nice toys, but I worked my butt off over the years. I wasn’t always able to and now that I can, I still opt for more frugal options most of the time. But every once in a while, I treat myself to be happy today, because I know one day, I’ll just be memories in a shoebox.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. I love my D850 and the D810 that preceded it. But possibly not for the reasons others do. I've reached the point in life where heavy gear is much less fun to use. My primary setup is the D5 and either the 24-70 f2.8 or 70-200 f2.8. A superb kit that pretty much lets me shoot anything, any place, any time. But it is a load and while I love the results I get it is not a lot of fun to shoot for extended periods.

Enter the high megapixel bodies. With one of the f1.8 mm primes mounted to my D850 I have a much lighter combination that, with cropping in post, gives me an image very similar to that from my 20 mpx D5 and heavy zoom lens. For sports and very low light I prefer the D5, but the rest of the time the D850 and a light prime gets it done.

16. william hortis

william hortis

Nov 30, 2013
    Drive a Ford Fiesta!! now thats taking it too far. My D850 puts a smile on my face as does my Audi tts, If I don't spend it the nursing home will eventually get it at £50k annual residency, now what was that £10k lens that was recently released ?:) 

17. :eek: 

:LOL: 

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. My goodness. No need for threats. :p 

My current gear consists of a D750, D500, D5600 with a hodgepodge of lenses, some big and heavy and some small and light. I find myself reaching for the D5600 and a light prime most of the time. I have often considered selling the the two bigger cameras and the big lenses. What stops me is that they represent not just capabilities that I need from time to time but they represent sunk costs. They are PAID FOR and unless I need the money for a true emergency, it makes no sense to sell them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. You type faster than me, Jim.

20. It's not that expensive, really. If you don't drop it. Cost per year until moving it on for something else is pretty low.

I use this faulty logic: I don't ski, make overseas trips, buy a new car every two years, go to Starbucks or Whole Foods (well maybe sometimes), or date expensive women, so I can afford great Nikon stuff, especially if it is a generation back from the latest-greatest.

Now if I could just quit bailing out my kid's from their financial disasters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.