I love noisy B/W Pictures (D2x Pics)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by voider, Dec 19, 2005.

1. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi,

Let me know if you like the pictures from my favorite city: Hamburg, Germany

Finally I had time to go out with my camera. I was so busy with other stuff over the lasts weeks. My Cousin called me and we went for 2 hours to the harbour. He just bought the D50. It is really a nice camera. The colors look really good and the High Iso performance is just great. Anyway we will try to do this now weekly. It is much more fun shooting with someone else.

[​IMG]

The second one is only a little sharpened and converted to sRGB

[​IMG]

The last one is sadly a noise free B/W picture...looks a little too smooth :)

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think. I enjoy getting constructive feedback ;-)

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. I really appreciate that. The second one has really no main subject. I just liked the view and the colors. I have to keep that more in mind to have a center of interest. The big ship in the back is an old beautiful sailing boat and it is huge :) It was raining and ice cold and that is why we stopped after a while.

I did not get what you meen wit the first picture. "The centre is a little too far off" Could you explain this?

I try to work more on composition and concentratting on a center of interest.

Merry Christmas!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very much like the second and third one.

Nice work.

5. I'm in love with that third one :smile:
    I'd love to have that in a matte black frame mounted on a dark background, 11x14 minimum.

I too love noisy B&W pictures... I fell in love with Tri-x 400 when I started shooting film back in August. When I got the D200 I designated one of my shooting banks for black and white, and I did some shooting over the last 2-3 days in B&W keeping my ISO as high as possible, with NR turned off.
    Tonight I kept my ISO from 400 (flash shots only) and 800 (available light) all the way to hi-1.0 (3200), though I tried to avoid anything above hi-0.3 (iso 2000) except for experimenting due to edge detail destruction.
    B&W with the D200 at ISO 1600 NR off Black and White is beautiful.
    Now all I need is your skill. I've got a brain leech right here...care to make a donation to my skill bank? :biggrin:

6. Hello Timur

I like the first one a lot, it's very moody. The third one is well composed and very sharp, I suppose you could say it is too smooth but I like it the way it is. I also like the second shot, it's well composed and the color is just right, at least to my taste. You are using the D2X to it's potential.

Merry Christmas

7. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you all for this amazing feedback!

@ Harrison: I started using a white/grey picture shot with a film camera. It is a very grainy picture and I merge it with my B/W pictures via color burn in PS. This gives a very natural grainy look. The results are much better. See here for 2 new converted pictures:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=58805

For B/W conversion I use Gray Mode and Duotone...

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. very artistic work. Oddly enough and counter to some comments, I think the first image has LOTS of power.
    Dave

9. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Thank you Dave. The first one is my favorite too.