I love the no politics rule here

Don't people realize that you can never change an adult's mind on their politics ?
Especially since it defines family, friend, and employment in life these days.

I began using FB because so many of the local nature photographers use it. There are several nature photography groups I follow that are very helpful in determining when certain wildlife is in our area. For example, when the various warblers are migrating through on their way to Canada, I'll see it posted there. I can track when the rut has begun for elk and deer. Also useful for short-eared owls and snowy owls in the winter, or if we have an animal not usual to our area.

I don't really use it for socializing or keeping up with friends or family and I feel that all of the news and political subjects on FB are poisonous, hateful and moronic.

Thanks for starting this thread Randy. The lack of civil-discourse across the country is appalling, it's so refreshing to have a site such as the NikonCafe where like minded individuals can share their hobby without the overtones of politics getting interjected into every conversation.

Don't people realize that you can never change an adult's mind on their politics ?
I don't know how often adults change their mind about political issues but I do know it happens. I've changed my mind occasionally and I'm not the only person to have done so. I've known people to change their mind as the result of civil discourse but I've never known that to happen as a result of uncivil discourse.

Funny, you guys and gals are way more feral about your politics over there than here
Yes I have changed allegiances a few times over the years. I vote by policies, not loyalty.

Some years ago a couple of different friends persuaded me to join FB, although I was really reluctant to do so. I don't write anything personal in my account, but it is handy for keeping up with far-flung family and friends, at least for casual stuff; anything really private or important is still done by telephone, texting and emails. I did join a few groups on FB that are useful -- a couple related to photography and another couple related to the type of hearing aids that I wear, which is useful. Sometimes I'll go a day or two without bothering to look at FB, as it is just not as important to me as other areas on the internet (including this forum! I never go a day without looking in on the Cafe!). I definitely appreciate that there is no discussion of politics allowed on this forum; on another where there is a subforum for them, the moderators are kept super-busy most of the time and usually if there is controversy, that's where it erupts. Needless to say right now, the place is a hotbed of controversy and arguments. I avoid that subforum as a general rule anyway, but especially during this fraught time in our history.....

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Politics...
What's the right way? Breathing in or breathing out?
Don't start to think about it, or you'll get lost!

:D :D :D
Klaus

It makes you think of all the things you don't type, which ruins the no politics mood of the forum. ???
That's an excellent point probably for those who are thinking things they are forbidden to type. The easy way around that is to simply avoid thinking those things at least while participating at Nikon Cafe; everything in life doesn't have to be about politics. Personally, I spend most if not all of my time and energy attending to things within my control. Politics is rarely within my control so I spend little time thinking about it. I spend even less time talking about it because when I'm in the company of others there are so many more enjoyable topics to discuss, such as what's been going on in their lives.

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
As you all know, I do FB, but I have one hard and fast rule and that is no political or religious discussions on my page ever. There’s too much of that elsewhere, and my page is about peace, harmony and travel.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
Doesn't this thread itself violate the no politics rule? It makes you think of all the things you don't type, which ruins the no politics mood of the forum. ???
I don't want to assume whether or not you are being facetious so I'll reply. No, it does not. Someone stating that they are grateful for the forum not allowing politics is fine. Where we would go astray is when people start to bring specific politics into the thread. Or when we start comparing one country's politics to another's.

So let's not go down that road, please. :)

This is a slippery slope, I was a witness to what started as a discussion about the merits of Sauron's policies between a troll and an elf in a tavern in a foreign land.
For some reasons it involved some finer points about the value of certain rings, and hey presto it ended in a bloody massacre.
I should add I did not have the courage to bring out my D700 from my rucksack, it could easily have been mistaken for some magical contraption.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom