I love the no politics rule here

This is a slippery slope, I was a witness to what started as a discussion about the merits of Sauron's policies between a troll and an elf in a tavern in a foreign land.
For some reasons it involved some finer points about the value of certain rings, and hey presto it ended in a bloody massacre.
Now I'm beginning to wonder about the subliminal messages hidden in your innocent photos of your Sunday breakfast! :cautious: :cool: :D

Real Name
Andrew
The last 2 years I’ve done complete social media blackouts for the month of December.

since doing that I’ve dropped my Facebook usage throughout the year to a few times a week. I don’t have the notifications on either.

if you have my phone number, then you can get ahold of me at any time.

if I didn’t have a photo business, I might not have a Facebook account either.

right about this time of year I start getting my blog posts and social media posts queued up and scheduled so I can sit back and relax clutter free for the final month of the year!

Personally I think social media has done way more to polarize people than it has to bring them together. I quit FB all together. Unfortunately my wife has not. Never delved into twitter etc.

Funny, you guys and gals are way more feral about your politics over there than here...
Also funny how differently we perceive things. We've been to NZ twice. First time was 2008 and second time was 2016. Both times we arrived shortly after the presidential election in the US. I have to say that the only thing about the entire country that put us off(both times) was how eager many people were to discuss US politics. We'd just smile and nod and try to change the subject.

I think social media has done way more to polarize people than it has to bring them together.
I agree.

Years ago I heard a psychologist say that social media drives our closest relationships further away and brings our most distant relationships closer to us. That's exactly the opposite of what I would ever want to happen. Going into restuarants and seeing people sitting at their supper tables staring into their cell phones rather than talking with each other was all the anecdotal evidence I ever needed to believe the psychologist probably nailed it.

Real Name
Dan
I stopped using FB the day I found out they used their mobile app to spy on on. Haven’t put a post up since, though my account still exists.

A former HS acquaintance has a stream of political hate running all the time. Others I know think the world is entitled to their political opinion.

Sadly, platforms like FB & Twitter know EXACTLY how to jack you up and get you angry. It’s what keeps people coming back for more.

There is nothing ‘social’ about ‘social media’ and if all disappeared tomorrow the world would be a much better place indeed!

I stopped using FB the day I found out they used their mobile app to spy on on. Haven’t put a post up since, though my account still exists.

A former HS acquaintance has a stream of political hate running all the time. Others I know think the world is entitled to their political opinion.

Sadly, platforms like FB & Twitter know EXACTLY how to jack you up and get you angry. It’s what keeps people coming back for more.

There is nothing ‘social’ about ‘social media’ and if all disappeared tomorrow the world would be a much better place indeed!
FB spies on you even if you do not have the mobile app.
You do not even need to have an account.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
UV filter or no filter.... oh wait... I better shut up. Also way way back, the price of fuel used to be a contentious subject, that always seemed to turn political. There is a reason why I still volunteer here on the cafe as a mod/admin. This thread is one reason.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
We do not seem to have "Equivalency" posts here either. Now that is a subject that makes most political debates seem like the Vicars tea party.

Some of those debates on the DPR M43 forum are ten times more venomous than any political debate I have ever seen. The weird thing is they are arguing over something that matters very little in the real world of photography.

We do not seem to have "Equivalency" posts here either.
I don't know what an "equivalency" debate is, but I do know about Alfred Stieglitz's Equivalents photos of clouds captured at Lake George, New York. Though I really like Stieglitz's photos in general, I've never understood why his series of about 350 cloud photos seems to have taken on so much importance in the history of photography.

This was actually a non-political sunset this evening but it sure looks ominous...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom