I love the Zoo's aviary!

Go there often, this time three weekends in a row. It is very big and enclosed, where the birds roam free. Some are friendly and come very close to you.

Lots of images, here are some from yesterday.

1. Nicobar pigeon - D300 - 70-200VRII - SB-800
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Victoria Crowned pigeon - D300 - 70-200VRII - SB-800

3. Victoria Crowned pigeon - D300 - 70-200VRII - SB-800

4. Green Peafowl (Pavo muticus) - D80 - Tamron 90

5. Green Peafowl (Pavo muticus) - D80 - Tamron 90

More yet to process.

All hand-held.

Sounds like a fun place. Is that where you've gotten the photos with the fish in them?
Yes. They have a nice size pond with different depths. They have big koi in the deeper part and those blue-fish everywhere. In the shallow parts it is quite close and clear to see. The pair of mergansers chase and eat these fishes. They are known to the staff as the "terror of the lake". They are quite aggressive. The male mergansers attacked a duck in a fight that lasted over 7 minutes. Unfortunately in the farther shadow and I could not get a shot (only had the 80-400VR and no flash with me that day).

I am a member and visit often. Three times in the past month. The staff knows me as a regular so they are very nice and give me tips on what's new and the like.

Lovely place. The zoo is big but I seldom walk the whole place. I spend most of my time in the aviary, or sometimes in the other side buy the big apes.

The aviary was completely destroyed by hurricane Andrew in '92. The new Wings of Asia aviary, housing more than 300 individuals representing 70 species of birds, opened in the spring of 2003, and it is now better than ever was.

Zoo website.

Latest posts

Top Bottom