I love this place for it's calmness

Real Name
Randy
a recent experience on fm

I posted a question about AF problems on my Z6 and the replies I am getting are very funny, reminds me of DP in the old days. Firstly of course the posts were of pics demonstrating that their Z6 AF worked fine. Then we moved to some back biting and name calling. And finally we have settled on 'it must be user error'....

Post the same question here and you get well thought out replies of people with 1st hand experience with this problem or nothing because people here don't feel the need to chime in with nothing of value.

Next time I'm staying home (here) and asking the question,

FM is such a large community (compared to here) that there will always be a few immature or moronic people eager to prove how foolish they are. At least here you can always get help (in between the posts about drinking wine :D ). This is where I come first for assistance as well.

Steve Perry's new forums are friendly and helpful also, although still a relatively new and growing community.

Last edited:
Real Name
Don Roy
I've been a NC member only 18 months and am still a bit intimidated here, seeing so many members with a zillion pieces of gear, centuries of photography experience, and 10-15 years of NC time. I know it's just me though, you all are great. :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I've been a NC member only 18 months and am still a bit intimidated here, seeing so many members with a zillion pieces of gear, centuries of photography experience, and 10-15 years of NC time. I know it's just me though, you all are great. :)
And so are you!

and some of the pics in that thread aren't even in focus, crazy world we live in
I thought it was a joke when he kept comparing shooting small, active birds to the tough conditions found trying to shoot runway models. Talk about a slow and predictable moving subject! A woman walking down a preset path showing off her clothes. This could probably be done with manual focus.

The photo forums on FM are all dead except for wildlife. The portrait forum front page has posts from three weeks ago, and the sports forum front page has posts from 3 months ago. FM has become a marketplace for used gear and little else.

This place is much better.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I thought it was a joke when he kept comparing shooting small, active birds to the tough conditions found trying to shoot runway models. Talk about a slow and predictable moving subject! A woman walking down a preset path showing off her clothes. This could probably be done with manual focus.

The photo forums on FM are all dead except for wildlife. The portrait forum front page has posts from three weeks ago, and the sports forum front page has posts from 3 months ago. FM has become a marketplace for used gear and little else.

This place is much better.
Agreed. Even though the FM wildlife forum is rockin' some great photographers, I sure like it here!

This pompous FM response cracked me up:
"If you had any experience shooting catwalk (please show your pictures if you have) you would know / have experienced that locking the AF on a moving models eye/face is at least as challenging as focusing on a bird sitting in a bush, as the difference between the size of the area to be focused on is really not that much between a (real) bird and the eye/face of a 'bird' on the catwalk."

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom