I lust big glass!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 11, 2005.

1. So today I had a gig, where I had to shoot from across a soccer field. I used my Bigma with a 1.4x tele and manual focused the shot. I have a 120-300 f/2.8 and a 2x converter on order, but even with that setup I only get a 600mm f/5.6. I'm now lusting for even more reach. What are some cheap alternatives on the Nikon end of things? I'm lusting big glass now, I want the reach!

2. 400/2.8
    500/4
    600/4

If you don't mind MF

800/5.6
    1200-1700/5.6-8 (!)

Ming

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
  4. What happened dude... share the true story with us, don't be shy...:biggrin:

Is it your new Scandie neighbour that lives across the street and does the cleaning of the house naked...??? :wink:

5. haha...how'd you know Panos? I want to focus into every little detail! :p

Hmm, that 800 f/5.6 sounds pretty cool. Any opinions on the 300-800mm Sigma?

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jonathan,

We have at least one member that has a 300-800 (Creative Edge) and another that has an 800 5.6 (phillip 200). They both are very satisfied. They ain't cheap though. The 300-800 is $6,200. and the 800 5.6 is $6,750.

7. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Sue Tranter

Jonathan,

As I mentioned to someone else, look at Sue Tranter's use of the 300-800 over on dpreview. I think her userID is XYXYXY or something like that.

8. There are lots of options, but you have to consider that when you buy a long lens it gets a lot harder to get sharp shots, (see my thread in the birds and animals section on Long Lens Technique) and that when you buy along lens you also have to consider if your tripod setup is sturdy enough or not. That said here are my suggestions:

Personally for what I do i wouldnt go for MF with long lenses it takes a lot of time to refocus for what I do (birding), but then again many like it

If you want medium long glass, the 300mm F2.8 AF versions can be had for very good prices on Ebay, I think a lot of pros are upgrading to the new 300mm F2.8 VR. Now if you get a TC1.7EII you get to 510mm but you have to stop it down a bit to get it sharp say F8 or so.

500mm's: a lot of people are using the Sigma 500mm F4.5 and getting great results with it (search in this forum for Jim Thiel, Retief ) and it is a lot cheaper then the Nikon. It works well with the Nikon TC14EII.

Ther Nikon 500mm's are reasonably seldom for sale, and are about twice as much as the Sigmas used (+$4000)

600 and up I guess the only game in town in the AF is the Sigma 800mm and 300-800mm, the latter you can find on Ebay right now new for a really good price from Itoverstock.com.

Finally as I'm reminded everyday; it takes a LOT of practise to get good sharp shots with these lenses...

BTW Sue Tranters website is: http://www.suesbirdphotos.co.uk/

Good Luck and let us know what you decide...

9. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

Have a look at the 200-400mm AFS/VR. It would give you the flexibility for the zoom, the reach for the sports, and would fit in well with your current complement of lenses, esp. the 70-200mm.

John P.

10. Here's a different approach ...

Get a D2x.
    If you are happy with your D2h 4mp shots then you can effectively almost double the FL of your current glass via cropping.
    This is particularly nice if you only need the super glass now and then.
    The D2x is also a lot lighter than big glass and for the most part less expensive.
    Pixel-wise a 300 on a D2x would yield the pixels of a 540 on the D2h.

There's lots of other considerations but It works for me.

Don

11. Man sakes alive, I know the feeling.

I woke up this morning, looked out my rear window and what do I see...

[​IMG]

And here all I have are a 70-200 and some TCs. I think the bird works for Nikon and is trying to sell me a 500 or a 200-400. Hm. :wink:

12. Yeah but to catch the boobies he'll need the 800mm lens AND a D2X...:cool:

13. waterlenz

waterlenz Guest

Using really long focal lengths to compress distance requires really good atmosphereic conditions, so it is kind of a myth to keep going for a longer FL lens. More effort needs to go into getting closer, IMHO.
    Greetings from Alaska

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Water,

I totally agree with you, and I do as much 'foot zooming' as possible. There are circumstances though, where getting closer just isn't an option (subject out over water, and your tiptoes are in the edge of the pond). And there are the cases where getting closer will just spook the target.

Welcome to the Cafe BTW. Could you let us know your first name (we like to get personal here :wink:)?

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hummmm official Nikon Bird sighting :>))

Nice shot though :>))

16. Deciding to get a long lens has been tough for me. I am willing to buy just one, and the 500 f4 is beyond what I'd like to spend.

The 300 2.8 and the 200-400 seem likely choices for the sort of mixed subjects I would use it for (kids, kid sports, road motorcycle sports, whatever critters I happen to see).

The 70-200 at 200mm and wide open scares me though. It isn't sharp enough for the D2X until at least f4. What are the two above like wide open?

17. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    My choice

I decided on the 200-400 plus the 1.7. I am very happy with that combination.

18. Hi Don,

Do you still have AF with the 1.7 and 200-400? Thanks!

19. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jonathan :

Yes, excepting in very low light circumstances. You do have better AF with the TC14EII, but it's quite good with the TC17EII.

John P.

20. The 500 f/4 AF is also highly rated. Check out NikonCafe member nfoto's website for this lens and others. http://www.naturfotograf.com/
    Bjørn Rørslett has extensive lens evaluations on his site.
    Click 'Lenses' on the left side of his site.